New Engine MPG Increase Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Engine MPG Increase Question

So I just got my truck and it has 400 miles on it. I rented a truck from enterprise that had the 6.7 in it and had about 24K to 30K on the ticker (I dont remember exactly). Anyway, it was getting 19+ MPG going form Houston to San Antonio.

My new truck is getting about 15 to 17 MPG currently (I am babying it). I think I remember seeing a post on these trucks getting better mileage after they "break in" or whatever. I know Ford says you dont really need to "break in" your truck. but is this true?

I am not trying to create a "what MPG's are you seeing" topic, just asking if the MPG's increase as the truck gets more miles on it. For instance, does the truck get to its "normal" MPG's after a certain amount of mileage, say 5K or 10K?

My truck has 3.55 gears and I think the one I rented had 18" wheels which is usually the 3.31's.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM

My truck has 3.55's and came with 18's... I get 20MPG on long flat trips at 65 MPH. I have 58K miles, and bought it used, so I don't know what the MPG looked like new. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM

I have 3.55s with 18s and mine got worse the more miles I put on it. Started out around 19 ended up down around 17 by the time I deleted. Now Im around 21mpg consistently. My drive to work is only about 8 miles country roads and through town. I think my dpf was having to operate to much with that short of driving distance.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM

I find mine getting worse toobut I only have about 600 miles on it. the supplement does have a break in period states 1000 miles for initial break in and no heavy pulling for 500. I know my old f150 (08) had a run rich for the first 5000 miles programed in it (as per dealer) but all I know is my f150 had a magic mark in it where it got better milage. I am hoping there is something in my 350 like that? but I am hoping and have no idea.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 AM

I really think that is an old wives tale from when diesel were not as precisely built.

I have not seen a significant increase in fuel mileage because of break in with the last 4 trucks I've bought. I buy new and drive 100,000 miles and then trade off. So unless this mileage increase comes after 100,000 miles, I just have not seen it.

The new technology of the 6.7L engines, The CGI block etc, Just does not require long periods of operation to break in.

I suspect that as your DPF and other emission equipment age, ( or get clogged) you will see a slight reduction in mileage. Hence the reason some folks see a slight increase when they delete.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have noticed a little increase in MPG after 20k miles. Not a whole lot maybe a few MPGs.

Yesterday I went on a field trip with my little girl and followed the bus for 60 miles. I was shocked when the Lie-O-Meter said, after I reached my desination, 27.3 MPG averaged. This was through the coastal mountains and at 55 MPH. Pretty amazing!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 AM

I would take "a few MPG's"! 4 MPG's above 17 would be nice. Almost an extra 100 miles per tank.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 AM

For the first 800 miles I was getting around 10mpg albeit i'm lifted and running 37's. After the 1k mark im now averaging 15 mpg/city and 19mpg/highway.....
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My F250 6.7L that I bought new was a lot better than my current F350 that I traded on that had 11K on it. Both were CCSB with 3.31s and 18s. It's still getting around 17-18 if I run it back and forth to work but if I don't get it out and run it I'm geting 15-16. My other 6.7L went into a crappy mileage phase and then improved around 15K hopefully the new one does the same at some point.

Like others have said there isn't much of a break-in on these new motors most do just as good when you pull off the lot as they will with 30K on the ticker.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

1400 miles roughly on my 2012. Best I've seen is 23mpg at 65. Flat steady driving for roughly 25 minutes i get 19.5 to 21.5 In town 17 to 18. I also baby it. Cruising on the interstate at 75 I'm getting 18.5. Not bad considering the truck weighs 8k and is about as aerodynamic as a billboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.