Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Crazy fuel mileage increases

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BIG Laing 
#1 ·
*** WRONG FORUM, SORRY ****

My 2008 F250 is getting increasing fuel mileage but the jumps are just crazy. Now when I first purchased the truck at 140k miles it had bad thermostats. Dealer replaced them, but no telling how long they weren't working properly. This caused excessive cooling and occasionally a P0128 code to pop. Anyhow, I made them fix this before I drove it off the lot.

Initially, I was getting around 13.2 mpg on my first two tanks. I have been more cautious of my warm-ups, regens completing, etc. with my scangauge now. We went to Colorado this weekend and my mileage really jumped. Going up there and driving around Durango we got 16.0 mpg on the tank. Once we drove back, all highway 75 mph, I topped off when we got in town and filled it with a 1/2 of a tank, got 19.2 mpg average.

I couldn't believe it. I mean literally did not believe it. I went back out to the pump and tried to add more fuel since I always try to squeeze an extra gallon or so after initial pump shut off. Nothing more would fit in the tank.

Now my miles to empty indicator is giving me about 510 miles per tank and my lie-o-meter (I reset at my first tank after buying) is saying 17.9 mpg.

Anyone getting these numbers, specifically over 18-19 mpg? This is crazy. I wonder if the DPF had not regen'd properly due to the cooling issue and now it has finally cleaned out.

BTW, my regens occur right at 200-220 miles. Is this good/bad?

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you just buy this truck in October/November? If so, I think you are just seeing the difference in winter fuel to reguler summer fuel. I dropped 2 MPG through the winter, and now I am back up to :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.