Positive 6.7 feedback... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Positive 6.7 feedback...

Favor of this forum I am very much wanting to jump back into a 2013 350 however the WWW. is full of negative Ford press. If you wouldn't mind sharing the milage & the way you drive. I would really appreciate it.
About me; I picked up a 2012 350 & I had some issues & now I am faced with a buy back & I really like the super duty, I realize they are not perfect however they are not cheep & I just cant get around the consistent problems a lot of people state they are having. Thank you for your time...

Example;
80k Mi. & I tow 15k. regularly, minor issues or none etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Banned

We have 2 bonestock 6.7 at our shop everyday, and so does a friend of mine that owns a shop 15 miles up the road. We tow heavy with all of them, change oil and run good fuel. Drain the water separator regularly. Knock on wood, that is it. 45k on 2011, 10k on the 2012. The other shop has 50k on their truck. They use it to tow their race trucks cross country. I think it went to Ford one time for a coolant sensor code. The low coolant light flashes on like once a month, so who knows what that is. I don't think anyone is bothered by it.
On the other hand we have replaced over 40 factory turbo's and all of the trucks had a hot tune on them. They run great in stock trim, And sound great straight piped.
As far as design they have allot of really great features and engineering.
I don't like how much the rod caps flex for higher power level application.
We also have custom tunes, and h and S tuning has reduced the boost at lower rpm, this should help with the turbo failures in theory.

Last edited by cfd_shop; 05-17-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

In for more info. Been eyeballing some used 2012's and even a couple new ones the local lot still has. Its hard to get rid of a 7.3, but I can be reassured knowing if I traded one in, I'd still have the other.

Anywho, Anyone have one they've kept bone stock (except for maybe the dpf delete?). How are those holding up?

I worry, because I put roughly 6K/mo on for work and if anything were to happen to my work truck, I'd have to drive the 6.7 if I purchased one while the other was down. I just don't want any headaches 400 miles from home... the 7.3 is relatively easy to work on, whereas these aren't so much.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 PM

I have a bone stock (for now) 2011 6.7 with 14k on it. On average I get about 19.6mpg all combined. Hauling my truck camper in the bed I get about 14mpg (3500lbs) and with the boat behind that (6500lbs) I still average 12mpg freeway. All combined weighs about 16000lbs. The best I have ever gotten is going 70mph and got 23.4mpg for a distance of about 70 miles. Love the truck to death, only thing I would change is I wish it came with a bigger fuel tank. Since I have a short bed I have a 26 gallon tank.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:04 AM
Banned

We just put a titan tank in a 2012 6.7. It fit great, and was an easy job. I think it took about 1.5 hours to do on a hoist.

Diagnosing a problem on one 400 miles from home would be hateful compared to a 7.3 without a good scan tool. With a good scanner however the 6.7 has a very precise self diagnostic, in that regard I would say 6.7 is easier to diagnose.
The 7.3 has the high pressure oil which can leak under a valve cover.
With a 6.7 you can look at the low pressure fuel switch and verify lift pump, and watch fuel rail pressure all inside the cab. You may be able to diagnose without even opening the hood.
Changing a part would not be so bad. Once you get the fender liners out of the way you can get to the sides pretty good and the injectors are out of the valve covers. The fuel pressure regulator #1 is right on top the pump under the intake to turbo, #2 is rear of left rail, kinda jammed under brake booster, but accessible.
Before anyone jumps in. I have never had a 7.3 leave me sit along the road. Done some injectors, sleeves, hpops, and lift pumps. But the bottom line is they have all been driven in, limping but able.

here is a link to a 6.7 no start diagnostic
http://www.confederatediesel.com/6.7...stem-diag.html

Last edited by cfd_shop; 05-19-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

^Good to hear. The only time I've been stranded in either of my 7.3's is when the welds on the center of the clutch broke - I don't think I am blaming that one on the truck, lol.

I absolutely love the reliability of the 7.3 (obviously, look at my signature), but I would really like to have something newer, maybe with a warranty. I just know the new ones get expensive FAST to have work done on them.

I'm torn, really. It won't happen until I find a screaming deal on a newer one. I definitely wouldn't trade my 6spd in, thats for damn sure, lol.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies so far, Im wondering how the motors & components are doing at the 50k to 100k mile mark. They are pricy to work on, lifting the cab for access etc.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:13 PM

I have a friend who owns their own shipping business and they run nothing but the new 6.7's. they have a few that have over 150k and they haven't had anything done except the usually maintance. Trucks run like new.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

/\ sweet, thats positive 6.7 feedback, thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

2012 6.7 auto 4x4 crew cab SRW

25,000 miles in 6 months
Tow 15,000+ regularly
Flat out the best truck I have ever owned to date!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.