2011 F250 with newly installed Carli 2.5" leveling kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 F250 with newly installed Carli 2.5" leveling kit

So I got the new Carli 2.5" leveling kit installed on my F250 crew cab. I went with new Bilstein 5100s on all four and 4" blocks in the rear. The truck fender is 10" above the top of the front tire/tires and it's 9 1/2" above the top of the rear tires. Basically, the front of the truck is 1/2" higher. Perhaps that's level, but If I put ANY weight in the rear or tow the *** is sagging. Not cool. I can't stand pulling my boat or trailer and having people flash me at night cause the front of my truck is pointing at the sky. Worse, the truck rides really rough now! Going down the highway on the roads in Texas it shakes everything in my truck. Going down city roads at 35-40 my truck bounces all over the road. My girlfriend says it rides like my 11' F350 dually. I'm running 295/60/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers at 60 psi front, 57 psi rear. I ran them at 57,55 but they seemed to soft and ride didn't seem to improve. It's so bad I don't want to keep my truck anymore. I have new Toyo AT2 35's on Fuel Boost arriving in the next few days to replace the stock tires and Nitto Trail Grapplers. It's not a good feeling when I don't want to drive my truck anymore! Will changing out the shocks to upgraded Carli shocks or a different brand improve the ride or am I selling this rig?
HISTORY--- I've had Fords my whole life (96' F150, 99' f350, 00' F350, 05' F350, 11' F350, 11 F250). I've been a diehard Ford man. It's in our family. In 08' I switched to a GMC dually because I had heard so many bad reports on the 6.4. The truck drove great, loved the D/A combo but the truck rattled like crazy on the inside. I traded out to an 11' F350 dually and the F350 was very rough. I traded it back in on the F250. Flame me, but the GMC dually rode way better than the F350 and better than my F250.

Last edited by schillster1; 05-14-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

id check with ocveloman... this doesn't sound like your typical carli review!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
id check with ocveloman... this doesn't sound like your typical carli review!
This is the first time I've ever heard anything bad about Carli.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 AM

I've heard people say the 5100s do ride a bit rougher or more stiff. But when loaded feels smoother. Air bags or bigger block for squatting issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The measurements you're stating are correct. Note the front wheel wells are larger than the rear to give the truck the appearance that it's sitting more level than it is from the factory. As for the sagging, that's the nature of the beast... If you purchased a leveling kit, your rear wasn't addressed so it's not sagging anymore than your stock truck would; the only difference is that you're starting from level rather than the rear 1.5" taller so it appears to be sagging more.

As for the ride quality, the 5100s and linear rate springs are a nice improvement over stock as they provide more travel and control with the softer springs we provide with the system. The tire pressures are really high... I would tell you to throw on the Toyo ATII that you have in the 35" and run them at 40 psi front and 35 psi rear. That will work wonders to compliment the suspension. Upgrading to a commuter or pintop 2.5" shock will make a world of difference, yes, but I would recommend putting the tires on, lowering the pressures and seeing how you like it.

We normally tell customers to expect stock ride quality on the road with more control and travel that will be a substantial improvement in cornering and light-off-road for the leveling/starter systems. They also substantially improve large dips and rough pavement. The others that have reviewed the 2.5" leveling and starter systems have raved about them but most changed the wheel and tire combo and ran the proper tire pressures as well. The other systems improve every aspect of the daily drive.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
The tire pressures are really high... I would tell you to throw on the Toyo ATII that you have in the 35" and run them at 40 psi front and 35 psi rear. That will work wonders to compliment the suspension.
you want him to run 35psi in a rear tire on a truck that weighs close to 8000 lbs even without passengers or cargo? That's a full 30lbs under the recommended pressure for 35's on a 20" rim. The NHTSA, when conducting 'low pressure' tests, considers anything more than 8 lbs below the manufacturers recommendation to be 'low' and most studies advocate for at least 80% pressure for on-road applications. In this case - at least 50 psi.

sure, lowering the pressure will allow more sidewall flex and give the impression of a better (softer) ride but it sure isn't going to help with the cornering that you mention later in your post. It will help busted beads and tread separation though.

I could improve the comfort 'aspect of the daily drive' by not wearing my seatbelt - but that would be sacrificing safety to do it. Running those pressures in a work truck to compensate for a stiff suspension set-up is dangerous - and bad advice.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

Subscribed!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350SD View Post
you want him to run 35psi in a rear tire on a truck that weighs close to 8000 lbs even without passengers or cargo? That's a full 30lbs under the recommended pressure for 35's on a 20" rim. The NHTSA, when conducting 'low pressure' tests, considers anything more than 8 lbs below the manufacturers recommendation to be 'low' and most studies advocate for at least 80% pressure for on-road applications. In this case - at least 50 psi.
Unloaded the front tires have what, 60% of the weight? maybe even 65%? (This will varry between SCLB, CCSB, CCLB, ect...)

I do agree 35 sounds crazy low... Maybe 50 front 45 rear...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 AM

For 35x12.5r18 the max pressure is 50, I assumed 35x12.5r20 was also 50 PSI.

So hearing 40 and 35 never seemed that odd. But after looking on toyo's website the 35x12.5r20 says 65 PSI max. So now 40 35 sounds bad.

(Sorry Dan, this ^^^ is my explanation of my last post)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 AM

I've got the 4.5" starter on my truck with 35 toyo mt on 17" rims and I run 50 front/45 rear...Have 2500 miles on since lift and tires are wearing great and the ride is equal to if not a slight improvement over stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.