Engines breaking valves- information from ford - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engines breaking valves- information from ford

I did some digging (a lot) and found a post mentioning TSB 12-11-11 pertaining to our trucks. I went and paid for a month of access to the ford TSBs after being unable to access this TSB from any other source I could find.

This TSB does not directly state "trucks built before this date may have bad valves", but it's the closest thing I've been able to come across to a probable cut-off date for this issue.

I was unable to copy and paste the contents of the TSB, so I had to retype it. I tried very hard to type an exact copy, but it may have some minor typos. Some of the formatting got lost, especially at the end. I hope some of you find this helpful. Here is the TSB:

6.7 DIESEL RUNS ROUGH NO CRANK GLOW PLUG CIRCUIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/29/2011

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Reference Number(s): 12-11-11 Date of Issue: November 16 2012
FORD: 2011 F-Super Duty

ISSUE

Some F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine and built on or before 3/29/2011 may exhibit a runs rough or no crank concern. DTCs P0671, P0672, P0673, P0674, P0675, P0676, P0677, and/or P0678 may be stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The glow plug circuit DTCs may also be accompanied by cylinder misfire DTCs, cylinder contribution DTCs or other engine performance DTCs.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Does the vehicle exhibit a runs rough, no crank concern with any of the following DTCs P0671, P0672, P0673, P0674, P0675, P0676, P0677, and/or P0678?
a. No this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnosis.
b. Yes proceed to Step2.

2. Remove and inspect the glow plug associated with glow plug circuit DTC present. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-07C. Is the glow plug damaged?
a. No this article does not apply. Refer to the PC/ED manual for normal diagnosis.
b. Yes replace the engine long block. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01C.
i. For prior approval warranty repairs, complete cost cap tool by selecting short block, both cylinder heads, oil cooler and 16 lifters.

PARTS INFORMATION

Part Number Part Name
BC3Z-6006-F Long block
BC3Z-6079-B Installation Kit

WARRANTY INFORMATION

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.

Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB.

IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified casual part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Operation Description Time
121111A 2011 F-Super Duty 6.7 L Check DTCs, Inspect 18.0 Hrs.
Glow Plug, Replace Long Block (Can Be Claimed
With Operation B)
121111B Additional time to contact hotline and complete 0.3 Hr.
Online forms. This operation is to be used only for
Dealerships that require prior approval (Can Be
Claimed With Operation A)
DEALER CODING
Basic Part No. Condition Code
6505 01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good info, thanks for sharing. I wish Ford would share their corrective actions that began on 3/30/2011 (or all improvements implemented to improve performance/durability). New materials for valves? Dimensional changes?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM

That would involve admitting that they did something wrong. Not going to happen. I'm really disgusted with them as a company due to how they handle warranty issues and known defects causing problems after warranty.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Any way to have your heads checked to see if they are made from the defective material? I got an August 2010 build but plan on keeping the truck for 200,000+ miles (if it doesn't drop a valve)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM

The only way I have heard of is to use a bore scope to look at the valve faces. I would think there would be too much carbon on them to see any hair-line cracks, but maybe it's possible?

My truck was made in may 2011, so it was made after the march cutoff. This TSB is enough evidence in my mind to justify not changing the valves while I'm replacing my dead turbo. If it weren't for this TSB, I'd very likely be tearing the whole thing down and spending at least another $1000 on the job to replace my possibly defective valves. As it sits, I'm already spending about $3700 to replace the turbo with a good aftermarket one and put a good fuel/water separator on it.

Another bit of information, the heads have been redesigned. I don't know if this is related to the valve failures, but it could be. Maybe they went to thicker stems? The engines with redesigned heads started to be put into trucks sometime in February 2012. This information came from the rumors about a head redesign and that the ford parts sites like tousley ford show that the current part numbers for the heads work only for trucks built before that date.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Banned

I knew someone would find that tsb and post it. Good info and it should be shared.

Can't wait to see pics of the new turbo installed!!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikePilot View Post
The only way I have heard of is to use a bore scope to look at the valve faces. I would think there would be too much carbon on them to see any hair-line cracks, but maybe it's possible?

My truck was made in may 2011, so it was made after the march cutoff. This TSB is enough evidence in my mind to justify not changing the valves while I'm replacing my dead turbo. If it weren't for this TSB, I'd very likely be tearing the whole thing down and spending at least another $1000 on the job to replace my possibly defective valves. As it sits, I'm already spending about $3700 to replace the turbo with a good aftermarket one and put a good fuel/water separator on it.

Another bit of information, the heads have been redesigned. I don't know if this is related to the valve failures, but it could be. Maybe they went to thicker stems? The engines with redesigned heads started to be put into trucks sometime in February 2012. This information came from the rumors about a head redesign and that the ford parts sites like tousley ford show that the current part numbers for the heads work only for trucks built before that date.
So there are replacement heads for trucks like mine with the higher chance of failure? I'm guessing a head swap is a cab off job and will not be cheap?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Glow plug damaged? You get a new motor
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post

Glow plug damaged? You get a new motor
Oh, yeah.
My cup holder broke & they told me I get a new motor.
When I picked it up I found out I had a new tranny too.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 PM

^wait.... seriously?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.