Lowering a 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowering a 4x4

I recently purchased a '13 F250 4x4 & I'm interested in lowering it a bit. I figure for the front I can order some custom springs, but what about the rear? Custom order some leaf springs, remove some leaf springs, etc? I'd still like to keep the factory ride quality. Thanks in advance for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

On here I'm sure your going to get a lot of crap for wanting to lower a 4x4. I'd suggest looking on some forums that are all about low riders. I don't know any specifically off hand but a buddy of mine has two slammed trucks and has actually tested/written reviews of air ride suspension products and such. I can ask him for some good sites if you want.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1289 View Post
On here I'm sure your going to get a lot of crap for wanting to lower a 4x4. I'd suggest looking on some forums that are all about low riders. I don't know any specifically off hand but a buddy of mine has two slammed trucks and has actually tested/written reviews of air ride suspension products and such. I can ask him for some good sites if you want.

In the rear, you can drop the size of the blocks too.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1289 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post

In the rear, you can drop the size of the blocks too.
Thanks guys. I'm not looking to slam the truck. I'm only looking for a 2"/4" drop. 1. I like the look of a slightly lowered vehicle. 2. Man this thing sits really high. 3. Just found out the wife is pregnant. It'll be easier for her to climb in and out of the further along she gets. 4. Everyone lifts these trucks. I just wanna be different.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 PM

If you lower it you will only end up with 2.5" of front travel. Not Good at all. Do you have side steps? if not save your cash and get nice steps. Your wife will hate the ride with only 2.5". I bet you would too. Not saying to lift but the stock 5" travel was not enough so I added 2.5" more. Nicer ride by far. Dips, speed bumps, pot holes and track crossings glides right over.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:56 AM

I agree the 4WD option sets HIGH! You need the height when you are navigating a plowed field, construction site or an old logging trail. I debated long and hard about the need for 4WD option because of the increased height. After 6000 miles on my Super Duty, I have needed it once while parking my camper in the mud, and have used it just a hand full of times navigating snow covered gravel roads. 4WD isn't used on dry or even wet pavement. Sometimes I wish the system was All Wheel Drive instead. The 2WD trucks sit quite a bit lower. I stayed with 18" wheels so my ride height would be one inch lower than the 20 inchers (and 18" tires are cheaper.) I believe the Chevy 3500 diesel 4WD rides lower than our Super Dities.

At least our Super Duties have handy grab handles for clamering in and out of the vehicle. You're going to have to get your wife a step stool!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlxjim View Post
If you lower it you will only end up with 2.5" of front travel. Not Good at all. Do you have side steps? if not save your cash and get nice steps. Your wife will hate the ride with only 2.5". I bet you would too. Not saying to lift but the stock 5" travel was not enough so I added 2.5" more. Nicer ride by far. Dips, speed bumps, pot holes and track crossings glides right over.
Agreed, you will not like the ride at all. You will bottom out a lot more which your wife will absolutely HATE. I have an Excursion which is Ford's attempt at a lowered 4X4 and the stock ride is crap and bottomed out all the time and now it has regular pickup type springs. My 5'1" wife has cerebral palsy and if she can climb into our Excursion by stepping onto it's running boards your prego wife can do the same. TRUST ME you will NOT like the results of a lowered 4X4. Guess you could look into a full air suspension where you could dump all the air out of the bags when parked then wait until they fill back up so you could drive off but all I've ever heard about air suspensions is that they ride like your on a pogo stick.

Last edited by Term3; 05-11-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

that things may not ride so good. They sit a little high, but my wife drove my truck with 4.5 inches of lift and our jeep on 3.5inches of lift her whole pregnancy.
How bout a trade in on an s-10! just kidding man good luck , im not sure ive seen an superduty thats 4x4 be dropped.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 AM

Amp power steps. My 6.5month pregnant wife hasn't complained once about the fx4. And she's a complainer by nature
Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 AM

I've seen a few guys with a 2" drop up front and a 3-4" drop out back. They didn't complain about the ride. I already plan on investing in the AMP Powersteps as well. I like the clean look of the steps being tucked under the truck. Don't know why Ford decided to only do that with the F150 Platinums. If I went with air suspension it would be through Ride Tech. I hear that their Shockwaves offer the best ride quality & you can run them without the compressor on board. I'll continue to research this & see what I can come up with. I've already been in touch with a spring manufacturer that can design the springs for me to give me the 2" drop up front that I'm looking for at $250. Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to get more feedback from the side telling me how it can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.