6.7 and 6.4 reviews - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 and 6.4 reviews

I am looking at getting a new truck, i just recently sold my 03 F350 with a 7.3 that had 220k on it without a single issue. I really regretted selling it because it has been a great truck to me since new. I was just wanting to get some others input on these two engines I am debating between sticking with ford or giving the new rams a shot. If anyone has experience with them as well feel free to jump in. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Emergency Services

6.7 if you'll be staying stock and/or towing a lot. And 6.4 if you won't be towing as often and will delete. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally never had a 6.4, but coming from a 6.0 into a 6.7 was an incredibly awesome change!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I plan on mainly staying stock. Maybe at the most ill put a programmer and exhaust on to get some better fuel economy with the price of diesel these days
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently did the same thing you did. I sold my '03 7.3 with 160,000 miles and loved that truck. Just needed a bigger truck with more power. I purchased a 2012 f350 dually. This is my first dually, but the truck has been great the past few days I have had it.

I went with the 6.7 because of the towing capability over the 6.4 and the interiors of the 6.7 are way better as well. I plan on leaving mine stock because of warranty purposes. Do not really understand how everyone is willing to pay 45-60k for a truck and lose out on warranty if something happens to it.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Both are a good choice. I would only go with the 6.4 if you are going to delete and tune it. I had one and loved it. I now have the 6.7 and it really impresses me, I can't get over how comfortable and strong this thing is. I would definitely stay away from the ram, they have terrible acceleration and that get's old real fast, not to mention that the plastic on the dash and door panels is really cheap feeling and sounding. Just tap your fingernail on it to see what I mean. In the end you resale will not be there on the ram, even when you get it cheap upfront.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

just from my experience the 6.4 which I had tuned was a fun truck,till I took out a head gasket.my 6.7 is very smooth and has power as well. i'm leaving this stock and will be very happy with it that way. it's nice to know if you have a problem just drive it to the nearest dealer and not to worry about returning it to stock or hoping you'll get warranty. I don't notice a huge difference between a tuned 6.4 and the stock 6.7 fuel milage
Old 05-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I test drove a used 6.4 and the new 6.7 and the Ram and GMs. The 6.4 was a nice truck. I liked it. The 6.7, even better IMO. Why? Well, I think the transmission is fantastic. And, I am pretty confident my 6.7 gets better mileage. That being said, I have seen videos of the 6.4s tuned and they are amazing.

H&S did a torture test on the 6.7 and the transmission held up through 880+ HP / 1650 ft-lb and then started to slip. STOCK transmission!

The rams were not impressive to me in 2012. I liked some features they had, but overall I wasn't enthralled. And, I really like the cummins...just the truck felt odd to me.

Duramax - liked. But, interior was no comparison to the Ford and I like my HD truck looking and feeling like a HD truck. That, and I liked a lot of the features Ford offers (and larger interior leg room).

I wish you luck in your decision. I am at 16,000 miles on mine (1yr old). I just made a 300 mile trip and got a personal best of 20.4 mpg (Hand calculated). No complaints!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned

I like the 6r140 trans allot. The small block on the 6.4 is really robust though.
I think the 6.7 is easier to work on than a 6.4.
After you are out of warranty the 6.7 will be more expensive to repair most likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.