Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Changed the oil myself this time on my 2011 6.7L, what an adventure!

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Ford:Excelling all others 
#1 ·
So I changed my own oil for the first time on this truck, at my dealer in TX I paid $49.99 for oil changes. But I have moved to AZ and the local dealers want $129.99+ so I decided to change it myself and use rotella T6 Full Synthetic based on many positive reviews on here. Well I placed my oil container about 3-4 feet back thanks to the forum again, but what I didn't realize was how fast the oil drained! It filled the "top funnel" portion of my 15qt container in about 15 seconds and started over flowing EVERYWHERE!! (See pictures) Now I am looking to purchase a fumoto valve and the website says "2012 and on, 2011 N/A", (see picture) does anyone know of a solution for the 2011 or does the 2012 and on fit? Thanks!

Asphalt Road surface Tar Road Driveway

Text Font Line Number Screenshot

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This might be because the 2011 had the plastic oil pan with the plastic quarter turn plug? I'm not sure if they made the switch to metal during mid model year or not. But, I read that some 2011's were being upgraded to a metal pan.

#5 ·
yep best 3$ oil pan you can get works great !:thumb:

#7 · (Edited)
Just got mine done for $145. I'd rather have the dealer do it instead of doing it myself, will help down the road if I need warranty work and it's all on their records. I have a feeling if I do it myself they'll try get out of warranty repairs...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
the only person that changes my oil is me, my buddy took his 250 gasser to the ford dealer fast lane the drained the oil changed the filter started it up with no oil in it and ran it for 45 seconds... no bueno

#9 ·
I have done all oil changes on my personal vehicles before as well. You can't beat $49.99 on your own and the proof for warranty as previously stated. I had a 2006 Ranger that I bought brand new and did all the oil changes myself and they tried to say I used the wrong oil weight and caused my truck to blow blue smoke out of the exhaust, thank god I had the receipts to prove them wrong and get it "fixed". Long story short ended up trading it in because I was so pissed! Moral of the story save your receipts for all work you do yourself!

#10 ·
very true i have receipts from anything i ever do, its a great selling point when you whip out a folder with everything you have done to the vehicle and also can save your azz in some situations. where in az are you located?

#12 ·
thats cool i live in north phoenix us az guys need to do a g2g soon before it gets too dang hot out

#14 ·
My stealer does it for $89. I shopped around for the filter and 13qts of oil and couldn't even get it to my door for $89.

It's due now and I guess I'm going to let the stealer do it. :(

#15 ·
I paid $29.99 for my filter, and $16.36/gallon of Rotella T6 Full synthetic (Walmart had it for $21.36 with a $5 mail in rebate/gallon so autozone price matched the price with the rebate and then it printed the $5 mail in rebate/gallon as well!) so all said and done I paid $95.43 but I will get $20 back in mail in rebates! So $75 all said and done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.