Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

water removing fuel additive

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  6.7strokin 
#1 ·
I recently drained about 2 drops of what appeared to be water from my DFCM, it had been about a month and a half and about 10 tanks of fuel since I had drained it. I have since drained my DFCM about every half tank of fuel. I get the slightest trace of water (about a dozen dots about the size of mechanical pencil lead) in the bottom of the jar every time I have drained the DFCM since the first incident. I have never gotten a water in fuel light. Due to the very small amounts of water I am seeing I don't think this is a situation that points to heavily contaminated fuel that requires a tank drop and clean. I would like to hear some recommendations as to which fuel additive you guys would recommend to dry up what little bit of water may be left in my fuel tank. I am leaning towards the diesel 911 winter fuel treatment. From what I have found it seems to be safe to use on the 6.7. Have any of you ever used it or do you have any other recommendations?

#5 ·
Fuel additives will not remove water from fuel. There are two types of additives. Demulsifiers and emulsifiers. A demulsifier will cause the water and fuel to separate and your DFCM will catch the water and keep it from moving to the engine. That's it's job. You DO NOT was to use a fuel additive that contains an emulsifier. An emulsifier will cause the fuel and water to mix and if that happens your DFCM will be unable to catch the water before it enters your engine and then bad things happen to your fuel system.

#7 ·
I do agree that the water seperator is doing its job. The truck never sits for more than 24 hours without moving but maybe what I am seeing is some condensation. I picked up a bottle of Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement. Hopefully this will keep the water separated and the DFCM will continue to catch it. Its just makes me a little paranoid to see water, although it be small droplets, coming out of the water separator after hearing all the horror stories about fuel system replacement due to water contamination on the 6.7's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.