Leaky Windshield! Anyone else? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaky Windshield! Anyone else?

It started a couple weeks after I bought my truck I guess. It's a preowned but only has 22k miles on it at the time. When you're going down the highway into headwind or cross wind that is +15mph, the window will pretty much sing to you. It's letting air in somewhere around the top center to top driver side. I've looked on the outside but can't see anything. Anyone else have any odd issues like this?

Next step will be to pull the window out. I've got a good glass guy.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yup, been there too! Had my windshield replaced due to a stone chip. Safelite Glass came to my house and replaced it. About 6 months after that we were on our way to Maine towing our fifth wheel camper and all of a sudden the ac went out, then about ten minutes later the cruise and speedometer went out. Just as we arrived at our destination, my turn signals went out. Checked fuses - all OK. Ended up taking it to a Ford dealer in Maine and they found a very corroded fuse box interior caused by a water leak. They didn't have time to look for the leak, but they replaced the fuse box and all returned to normal. After picking up the truck and paying the $460 bill, we returned home with no more problems. Took it to our local Ford dealer and they could not find a leak. Took it to Safelite and they found the leak, replaced the windshield again, and refunded me the $460. Needless to say, Safelite stands by their work and I will always go back if needed.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:40 PM

I have the whistling windshield problem as well on my 11. Sounds like it is a common problem, not sure if it is for all models or just the 2011's.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsals View Post
Yup, been there too! Had my windshield replaced due to a stone chip. Safelite Glass came to my house and replaced it. About 6 months after that we were on our way to Maine towing our fifth wheel camper and all of a sudden the ac went out, then about ten minutes later the cruise and speedometer went out. Just as we arrived at our destination, my turn signals went out. Checked fuses - all OK. Ended up taking it to a Ford dealer in Maine and they found a very corroded fuse box interior caused by a water leak. They didn't have time to look for the leak, but they replaced the fuse box and all returned to normal. After picking up the truck and paying the $460 bill, we returned home with no more problems. Took it to our local Ford dealer and they could not find a leak. Took it to Safelite and they found the leak, replaced the windshield again, and refunded me the $460. Needless to say, Safelite stands by their work and I will always go back if needed.
How much was the initial window install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post
I have the whistling windshield problem as well on my 11. Sounds like it is a common problem, not sure if it is for all models or just the 2011's.
I haven't read too much (none) about it so I posted the question. I hope its not a common deal. Mine's a regular cab if it matters.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure what Safelite charged for the windshield replacement the first time. The insurance company dealt with them directly. Had full glass coverage at the time.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5W0P3 View Post
It started a couple weeks after I bought my truck I guess. It's a preowned but only has 22k miles on it at the time. When you're going down the highway into headwind or cross wind that is +15mph, the window will pretty much sing to you. It's letting air in somewhere around the top center to top driver side. I've looked on the outside but can't see anything. Anyone else have any odd issues like this?

Next step will be to pull the window out. I've got a good glass guy.

TIA!
This is a very common issue. Happened on my 2010. They don't seat the windshields correctly from the factory.

Windshield replaced under warranty and the problem disappeared.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM

My only complaint with the 3 SD Fords I've owned is they never seem tight. Always feel like the air is blowing right threw them. Especially areound the doors..
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 PM

I had my window re-sealed from the outside this weekend. Fixed. I'm VERY happy. This trucks never been this quiet.

All he did was pull back the rubber and stick the sealant in. No removal of the windshield.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
our 2011 ford explorer does the same thing since brand new. only 14k miles on it now. havent taken it in though
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
our 2011 ford explorer does the same thing since brand new. only 14k miles on it now. havent taken it in though
My windhsheild guy told me $20. I gave him $50. lol I was way too happy. Still am. Still no leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.