This knucklehead just poured a gallon of DEF in the - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This knucklehead just poured a gallon of DEF in the

fuel tank because he was not paying attention to what he was doing. I have a half tank of fuel and a gallon of DEF sitting there. Thankfully, this moment of pure genious happened in my garage and not out on the road somewhere. Can I run this stuff through the engine or does this require a fuel tank drain? If the latter, can I take the fuel filter off on the frame rail and let the pump in tank push the fuel out into a large pan under the truck? Take the tank off the truck and dump it? Let's hear it guys and gals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

DEF will ruin the entire fuel system if it makes it past the filters... I would not even run it thru the lift pump and contaminate the supply lines... Pull the tank and get it cleaned out right..
Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM

Siphon as much fuel out as possible, then remove and drain the tank.

If you've turned on the key or started the engine since this fiasco, you'll need to replace the fuel filters.

Your engine and truck are expensive, so take the time and do it right.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 PM

It's a $16,000 bill from Ford if you run DEF through your fuel system. Do what both these guys ^^^ said.

Do Not Start Your Truck!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamdenDawg View Post
fuel tank because he was not paying attention to what he was doing. I have a half tank of fuel and a gallon of DEF sitting there. Thankfully, this moment of pure genious happened in my garage and not out on the road somewhere. Can I run this stuff through the engine or does this require a fuel tank drain? If the latter, can I take the fuel filter off on the frame rail and let the pump in tank push the fuel out into a large pan under the truck? Take the tank off the truck and dump it? Let's hear it guys and gals.
Good advise to drain that tank and not start the engine. Sorry to say but After you spend the money to have the tank drained you should spend another 16 dollars and buy a Stant ( Green) locking diesel fuel tank cap, so that ingenious person will have at least a chance of knowing DEF goes into the small hole that has the blue cap....
Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Started the engine for 20 seconds after it was poured in. Had

to move it since it was blocking the garage doors. Looks like I have a fun day of tank removal ahead of me. Whats the best way to clean the residue inside the tank and fuel line if any got in there? Hopefully none of it got as far as the first filter, if it even got in the fuel line. The line forms over on the right to kick my fanny.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bad news, sorry to hear this. If you have full coverage from your insurance company, you can turn it in as accidental fuel system contamunation and have the dealership do the work and you won't effect your warranty or even get a Carfax.

Ask me how I know this! Not only am I an ins. agent but I put gas into a diesel tank and it was all covered.

Next time you hate on your insurance company, remember they insure stupid all day long!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You could just do some deleting and not have to worry about def anymore. These motors weren't meant to be all choked up!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

An update on the idiot (me) that dumped DEF in the diesel tank. I decided to let the Ford dealership drop the tank and drain it since they were doing a transmission pump replacement today anyway. Rolled it off a trailer Friday afternoon so that it would be ready for them this morning. Thought about doing it myself, but decided that it wasn't worth the hassle and that they would already have it up on the lift for the other work. Will update as necessary.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

how much are they raping your wallet for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.