Icon suspension - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Icon suspension

Im new to the forum so hello to everyone...

I noticed not many people running Icon gear. Ive been considering them because Icon seems to be the only manufacturer selling a complete kit front to back. Carli gets rave reviews but even the most expensive kit leaves out the stearing stabilizers 4 link arms and you have to add springs.

Im thinking of the Icon stage 5, 7" coilover. Any and all advice is welcome its a big purchase for me. I like the idea of a complete kit but question the quality of Icons shocks...had a guy tell me they were mass produced and not quality.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2.5 kit with resi shocks at all 4 corners lift blocks and a tei spacer making it a 3.5 kit. I love it. Customer service is bar none. I had an issue with one of the shocks leaking and they next day shipped a replacement with free return shipping. Can't say enough about icon!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
Im new to the forum so hello to everyone...

I noticed not many people running Icon gear. Ive been considering them because Icon seems to be the only manufacturer selling a complete kit front to back. Carli gets rave reviews but even the most expensive kit leaves out the stearing stabilizers 4 link arms and you have to add springs.

Im thinking of the Icon stage 5, 7" coilover. Any and all advice is welcome its a big purchase for me. I like the idea of a complete kit but question the quality of Icons shocks...had a guy tell me they were mass produced and not quality.

Thanks in advance
Carli is working on a radius arm replacement right now. Like you said they don't offer the full leafs in the "kits", but they do have them. A good reason IMO that they are not in the "kit" automatically is that some guys don't want them. They lower your payload capacity, limiting the size of trailers we can tow. The mini spring packs they have are pretty sweet if you ask me, best of both worlds!

I am guessing since your going 7" anyways payload isn't a big factor for you? Icon makes really good products, and there are quite a few guys on here that have them on their trucks.

Check out trucktoyzstore.com to customize your Icon kit, and see other options they have such as traction bars/blocks, and upgraded shocks.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
Carli is working on a radius arm replacement right now. Like you said they don't offer the full leafs in the "kits", but they do have them. A good reason IMO that they are not in the "kit" automatically is that some guys don't want them. They lower your payload capacity, limiting the size of trailers we can tow. The mini spring packs they have are pretty sweet if you ask me, best of both worlds!

I am guessing since your going 7" anyways payload isn't a big factor for you? Icon makes really good products, and there are quite a few guys on here that have them on their trucks.

Check out trucktoyzstore.com to customize your Icon kit, and see other options they have such as traction bars/blocks, and upgraded shocks.

Thanks for the replies gents... Payload is a concern for me and the 4.5 is not out of the question either just didn't want to have to trim to fit 37s... I'm pulling about 12k with my travel trailer and I'm off road about 75% of the time. (Oilfield)
I was considering air bags or some similar solution while adding the leaf springs for more travel. Also I noticed the aftermarket leafs are much larger so I'm curious as to why we would loose payload bc of this.

One of the biggest disappointments of this truck is the under steer and loose wheel control. Coming off the raptor this thing is a drifting turd so I'm confused why more folks don't run the steering stabilizers or even see them included in these high end kits. Even more so with a raised suspension and large tires.

My biggest issue with icon is the weak warranty. King and fox seem to be more confident with their shocks by complimenting them with lifetime backing versus Icon with only a year against leaks. Seems to me aftermarket parts should carry a better warranty than stock.

Again thanks for the replies.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 AM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
An ICON lift with OUO Adjustable link arms and OUO traction blocks is the best riding lifted truck ive ever been in, it had an 8 inch lift and 38x15.50s. ALAs tighten up the steering a ton also! Call truck toyz and talk to marty or steve.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Honestly, you're looking at two top manufactures of systems for these trucks so you'll likely be happy either way.

The reason we don't do kits including everything is because not everyone wants or needs the same products so we give you a platform on which to custom build your suspension system. We're releasing a new kit shortly that will be 2.5" coilovers front with 2-tube 2.5" bypasses, in the rear it will be full springs and 3-tube 2.5" bypasses and it will include our new radius arm. That will be the "Full Kill" kit while the rest can be customized to your liking.

For your application, a 4.5" King Pintop with a full progressive spring pack replacement (+ $445) and long travel airbags (+ $850) to tow your trailer. This will allow for you to travel the full 12" in the rear of your truck when the bags are deflated and ride like they're not even there until you air them up to tow the trailer. Further, if you're partial to King's warranty, these shocks are warrentied by King, the leafs by Deaver and the hard parts by us. Regardless, we're your liaison with the manufacturer to handle any issues and have yet to have a dissatisfied customer that wasn't rectified.

We're a very popular choice in the oil fields and our distributors serve clientele in Alaska, Alberta, British Colombia, North Dakota, Texas, Louisiana, etc. We're very familiar with the needs of these customers. We also recommend Stainless Steel Shafts ($200) for guys consistently off-road as they're more corrosion resistant and can be de-burred to avoid seal damage should corrosion occur.

Last edited by OCVeloMan; 04-17-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My vote is Icon and I've ran a 4.5" and there 7" kit. My 7" kit is a PMF kit based on Icon 7" springs and it rides better then the Icon 4.5" kit I had. When going up that high I would look at traction bars to. Before you pull the trigger I would call Trevor at PMF suspension and talk to him cause he can build you a kit around Icon springs and get you a 3 or 4 link for the front and traction bars for the rear for a great price and it's another option when looking at kits of this nature. And I know I have never had any issues towing heavy with PMF's tractions blocks and factory springs as I am an electrical contractor on my days off form the FD and to up to 15k at times
Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
Honestly, you're looking at two top manufactures of systems for these trucks so you'll likely be happy either way.

The reason we don't do kits including everything is because not everyone wants or needs the same products so we give you a platform on which to custom build your suspension system. We're releasing a new kit shortly that will be 2.5" coilovers front with 2-tube 2.5" bypasses, in the rear it will be full springs and 3-tube 2.5" bypasses and it will include our new radius arm. That will be the "Full Kill" kit while the rest can be customized to your liking.

For your application, a 4.5" King Pintop with a full progressive spring pack replacement (+ $445) and long travel airbags (+ $850) to tow your trailer. This will allow for you to travel the full 12" in the rear of your truck when the bags are deflated and ride like they're not even there until you air them up to tow the trailer. Further, if you're partial to King's warranty, these shocks are warrentied by King, the leafs by Deaver and the hard parts by us. Regardless, we're your liaison with the manufacturer to handle any issues and have yet to have a dissatisfied customer that wasn't rectified.

We're a very popular choice in the oil fields and our distributors serve clientele in Alaska, Alberta, British Colombia, North Dakota, Texas, Louisiana, etc. We're very familiar with the needs of these customers. We also recommend Stainless Steel Shafts ($200) for guys consistently off-road as they're more corrosion resistant and can be de-burred to avoid seal damage should corrosion occur.
Awesome feed back man, thank you.

I'm still partial to the coil over setup and I think the steering stabilizers are a must too but the deavers are a good call. When do you see the "Full Kill" set up debuting ?

Also why does the Raptor crowd get 3.0 shocks and the superduty guys are limited to the 2.0 or 2.5? Wouldnt our truck benefit more from a larger shock due to its weight?

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
My vote is Icon and I've ran a 4.5" and there 7" kit. My 7" kit is a PMF kit based on Icon 7" springs and it rides better then the Icon 4.5" kit I had. When going up that high I would look at traction bars to. Before you pull the trigger I would call Trevor at PMF suspension and talk to him cause he can build you a kit around Icon springs and get you a 3 or 4 link for the front and traction bars for the rear for a great price and it's another option when looking at kits of this nature. And I know I have never had any issues towing heavy with PMF's tractions blocks and factory springs as I am an electrical contractor on my days off form the FD and to up to 15k at times
Nice truck bro
Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
Awesome feed back man, thank you.

I'm still partial to the coil over setup and I think the steering stabilizers are a must too but the deavers are a good call. When do you see the "Full Kill" set up debuting ?

Also why does the Raptor crowd get 3.0 shocks and the superduty guys are limited to the 2.0 or 2.5? Wouldnt our truck benefit more from a larger shock due to its weight?

Thanks again
We've done 3.0's in a raptor and they become STUPID capable... The orientation of the coil bucket on the frame makes it impossible to fit a larger than 2.5" diameter coilover in stock location without significantly leaning the mount away from the frame. Not to mention, there isn't very much you can't do with the 2.5" coilover paired with a bypass up front. You'll tweak the frame before damaging the suspension so there's no real need for it.

As for when it will be debuted, you can buy it now aside from the replacement radius arm which can be added when it becomes available!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.