Just did my first oil change 2013 Powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just did my first oil change 2013 Powerstroke

Why did Ford put the drain plug sideways instead of straight up and down? Yes I made a mess even after I planned for the oil to come shooting out sideways.

Also, I see there isn't a single grease zerk. I know in the past they didn't put them on the ball joints, but could they at least put them on the tie rod ends?

One more thing, I changed the oil at 5000 miles. I went to reset the computer, but it just says the oil is ok. In the book it says it will tell me the percentage of oil life left, but I can't find that anywhere. What is the recommended oil change interval?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

if your not deleted, keep the oil change intervals at 5000, Ford recommends 10,000?? I think. After 10,000 miles the oil becomes very thin and sometimes contaminated with fuel... I suggest keeping it at 5,000!

Tom
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I went through exactly the same thing and was ticked off. After I finished though, I thought about it, and I really like this set up for changing the oil. A single trip under the truck, and I'm done. Then one stop to dump the oil in and it's clean up time.

As for the grease zerks, I am indifferent. If there were any on my 08 they never got any grease from me in 140K, and I had no issues so I am confident that if they were needed, they would be there.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lococoin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOwen72 View Post
One more thing, I changed the oil at 5000 miles. I went to reset the computer, but it just says the oil is ok. In the book it says it will tell me the percentage of oil life left, but I can't find that anywhere. What is the recommended oil change interval?
I'd like to know this as well. My xlt gas work truck shows the percentage but my diesel just says OK. Doesn't make sense to me. How can you shorten the reminder time if all it says is Ok?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Setup-->Oil Life, then (from p. 108 of the Owner's Guide):

To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change,
perform the following:
1. Press and release the SETUP button to display OIL LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW.
2. Press and hold the RESET button for two seconds and release to reset the oil life to 100%.
Note: To change oil life 100% value (if equipped with this feature) to another value, proceed to Step 3.
3. Once OIL LIFE SET TO XXX% is displayed, release and press the RESET button to change the Oil Life Start Value. Each release and press will reduce the value by 10%.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobiloff View Post
Setup-->Oil Life, then (from p. 108 of the Owner's Guide):

To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change,
perform the following:
1. Press and release the SETUP button to display OIL LIFE XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW.
2. Press and hold the RESET button for two seconds and release to reset the oil life to 100%.
Note: To change oil life 100% value (if equipped with this feature) to another value, proceed to Step 3.
3. Once OIL LIFE SET TO XXX% is displayed, release and press the RESET button to change the Oil Life Start Value. Each release and press will reduce the value by 10%.
Yeah when I go through that process to get to oil life, there isn't a percentage, it just says "OK".
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM

I guess the "(if equipped with this feature)" bit means that some trucks don't show the percentage, only "OK" (somewhere between new oil and 1 year/10,000 miles), "ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON" (within two weeks/500 miles), and "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED"?

p. 71 of the Diesel Supplement says to go 6 months/5,000 miles between oil changes if the information display becomes inoperative, and never exceed 1 year/10,000 miles between oil changes.

Last edited by sobiloff; 04-16-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Expanded answer
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM

i thought the oil change was easy and on the truck compared to our 12 ecoboost oil went straight into the pail (5gal pail) and the filter is right beside it no reaching from the top trying to get it off than on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.