Fog light high beam override - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fog light high beam override

Posted this in exterior section also..

Ok guys, I have an idea. Maybe some of the electrical geniuses on here will be able to chime in and help out. I have aftermarket spyder ccfl headlights with low beam projectors and high beam bulbs separate. There are actually 4 seperate bulbs total for high and low beam which all illuminate while on high. Every light including the foglights are HID, each set has been wired up with relays. They work great except for the fact the fogs cutoff with the high beams on. There was a simple mod available on the earlier model trucks to run a jumper from the high beam relay to the fog relay in the fusebox. My first question is this possible with the 2011 and up models. My next question is would it be possible to make a jumper wire with a diode from the high beam + to the foglight + so when the foglight/low beams are on the diode is blocking current feedback into the high beam wire and when the high beams are activated the current goes through the high beam jumper wire to the fog light + to effectively keep the foglights on when receiving voltage from the high beam circuit. I was also thinking that a double pole double throw relay would work but it seems a diode would be easier. Any help would be appreciated.I am going to do a write up on this with pictures just looking for ideas. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You may want to check on laws in your area. Newer cars/trucks cut the fogs off when you put your high beams on because it's only legal to have 4 forward facing lights on at a time. So your 2 low beams and 2 high beams would be the 4.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM

but if u have stock lights high/low is a single bulb then couldnt u get away with running + fog lights and im sure with these trucks thousands of people are already breaking federal laws (delete) so lights are probably very low on there worry list lol
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM

A jumper with diode to the foglight relay is the ticket. But you're a jackass none the less for running HIDs in halogen housings and fogs. And your spyder "projectors" are hardly that, at best.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks for calling me a jackass... People like you make these forums a bit of a pain in the a$$. I have retrofitted "real" projectors into headlights a few times. I actually took a set of factory retrofitted headlights off the truck to replace them with these. They had morimoto projectors in them. I like the look of the spyder style headlights and just an FYI the spyder headlights have a nice cutoff in them just like the morimotos.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM

As you can see, very little rotational adjustment but very distinct cutoff lines and the light dispersion is pretty darn good. I'm sure that hid planet would tear them apart but considering how many pnp HID's are running around these absolutely do not blind anyone. Again I don't want to start a battle here about the quality of the projectors. These are not as quality as morimoto projectors but these are pretty damned close side by side on the same truck. Oh and exactly which diode would you use? I am also going to retrofit projectors into the factory fogs very soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Fog light high beam override-img_1002.jpg  

Last edited by Chaas75; 04-11-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaas75 View Post
As you can see, very little rotational adjustment but very distinct cutoff lines and the light dispersion is pretty darn good. I'm sure that hid planet would tear them apart but considering how many pnp HID's are running around these absolutely do not blind anyone. Again I don't want to start a battle here about the quality of the projectors. These are not as quality as morimoto projectors but these are pretty damned close side by side on the same truck. Oh and exactly which diode would you use? I am also going to retrofit projectors into the factory fogs very soon.
That's not too bad actually.
Diode 1N4001 will be fine to put between the high beam and the foglight RELAY. its a 50v 1.0amp diode so it can't be used to directly power the fogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.