Cummins guy has Ford 6.7 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cummins guy has Ford 6.7 questions

Hi All! I've been a long time Cummins owner and I just sold my 07 Dodge (all deleted, 89K trouble free miles) along with my 30' toyhauler. I was planning on buying a left over 2012 Dodge dully (so I could delete again) and a larger 5th wheel toyhauler, but after test driving a F350, I'm leaning towards the Ford F350 now! The Ford is soo fancy and plush inside, plus its a nice rideing truck.

Has anyone bought their truck from Vernon Auto Group in Texas? They offer a lifetime warranty for the orginal owner as long as the truck is serviced by a certified garage and all documention is kept. Thats a major selling point to me given the fact that with all the EPA crap going on, I will have to leave the truck stock, so it will be nice to have a warranty.

Towing 18,000lbs or so, what kind of EGT's are you seeing on stock trucks?
Any problems with fuel & oil dilution due to DPF/EGR ?
Whats the ave trans temp while towing? (I've allways had manuals)

Thanks guys for your time. Its a big decission to make, I've never had problems with the Cummins and I know the Ford has a good reputation too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hi Diverb, welcome aboard. I to have had a lot of Cummins powered truks and now have a 2012 F350. You will love the truck and so far 8,000 trouble free miles. I haven't seen any major fuel dilution but seemed like during break-in the oil had the fuel smell at the first oil change 3,500 miles. After the second oil chenge the smell wasn't as bad but never did an analysis! I doubt you will have any EGT issues running stock it's pretty well tested and proven. The power is awesome and the transmission is great. You may miss the exhaust break that your Cummins had, but the tow haul mode does a great job of slowing you down as well. Congrats....
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, wish I could test drive one while towing for an hour or two!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
Thanks, wish I could test drive one while towing for an hour or two!
Yeah wouldn't that be nice!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM

I haven't bought a truck from Vernon auto group, but I have always heard good things about them. There are a lot of people from my area that buy their trucks there. They always seem to have pretty good prices also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM

At 80,000 miles
No problems with oil dilution.
Tranny temps run 190-200 for most towing.
Oil temps will run about 200 but can climb to 242 on a serious grade towing. Not a problem though. It cools off pretty quick when you top the grade.

EGTs are about 470-490 empty at 70 mph, Towing 13,000 lbs up a 7% grade, I'll run in the 900. These are all at the EGT1 which is several feet downstream.

Active Regens will push 1200 especially in the EGT4 at the back of the SCR.

The exhaust brake is automatic when the tow/haul is pushed. Not as strong as the Cummins, But it still does the job. Just play with it and learn it's sweet spots.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I jumped ship from a delete Dodge too. My toy hauler weight is a little more than your targeted weight and this Ford tows so much better.

I am so happy with my new truck. You will be too.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys! I just put a deposit on a 350 DRW FX4 Lariat in silver with black interior. The Vernon Auto group in Texas offers life time warranty for orginal owner only. That and the awesome interior of the Ford is what sold me on the Ford. I may have the BANKS exhaust brake installed later.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Right now there are NO aftermarket Exhaust brakes designed for the 6.7L engine. Unless Banks has recently announced something. Which is not listed on their website.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

true I see Gale Banks doesnt have it yet, I'm sure in time they will offer it. Since I just sold my toy hauler and broke the bank with the new ford order, I cant afford another toy hauler until next summer, so by then maybe an aftermarket exhaust brake will be out.

I plan on doing trans pan, diff covers, cold air intake and EDGE CTS within the month and that should do it for awhile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.