Fuel Water Seperator Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Water Seperator Question

I just rolled over 1000 miles this week and it was my first time emptying the fuel water separator, but nothing seemed to come of the down spout.

I opened it to the 0 ring and kept going with only a few dribbles coming out (and quite a bit coming out of the actual yellow knob). Is this normal, and do i possibly not have any water in my fuel? It seemed like something should always come out, but I wasn't sure.

I would also like to note that I did add some of the silver diesel power service in this tank of fuel (about 1/2 gone now) but otherwise nothing has been done to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats strange every time I open mine, I get a steady stream. 8,000 miles and haven't seen any water in the fuel yet. I check about once a month. Sounds like something may be clogged in the spout.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM

I checked mine at 2K and not a drop of water; you should however get a steady stream of diesel flowing out. Did you loosen it all the way? If so have the dealer take a look at it.
Ford does not recommend additives (per the manual); just go with a top-tier fuel (IMO Chevron/Texaco for diesel).
Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did loosen it quite a bit (enough to make it come out around the knob). I will maybe try again tomorrow. As far as fuel, I have been using a local place. I see people stop there quite often for fuel but not alot of traffic. There are a few BP's around too, but I never see anyone buying diesel there.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM

Agree, that is very strange. Regardless of water present or not you should get a steady stream of fuel. At this point I would be very curious and would pull out the housing and check the bowl for debris/blockage which you shouldn't have any and check the filter as well. Should be very clean and no metal filings. Since your vehicle is still brand spanking new I would make a stop at the dealer.

BTW, per the manual Ford states fuel additives should not be necessary which assumes where ever you get your fuel it meets diesel spec. Therefore Motorcraft fuel additive (cetane booster) or other similar additive which meets Ford specs is recommended.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I finally attempted again just due to the dealer not being able to get me for another few days and the fuel came out without issue and it seemed clean to me. Fuel Water Seperator Question-imageuploadedbyag-free1365966360.506873.jpgFuel Water Seperator Question-imageuploadedbyag-free1365966383.153316.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Another picture from a power aid bottle.
Fuel Water Seperator Question-imageuploadedbyag-free1365966729.450173.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks good.....
Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 PM

I assume the water in fuel warning light and message will come on when the DFCM seperator has a half a cup of water in it. Kinda like my dog scratching at the door to get out. I get the sign, and then I take action.

I don't think it is necessary to drain the DFCM every month. I will do it at oil changes or when the warning light comes on. Make sense?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 PM

Only takes a few minutes and I'm not taking chances. If the WIF comes on it's forever recorded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.