Why shouldn't I do this...F350 dually converted to SRW - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why shouldn't I do this...F350 dually converted to SRW

2014 looks to be my year for buying a new truck. I really want the towing/hauling capacity of a dually, but I do not want the width and mileage penatly of a dually. The fenders would also never last with my wife occasionally driving the truck.

My idea is to do the following:

Buy a 2014 dually with bed delete, convert it to SRW with some Rickson wheels and run 265/70/19.5 tires, and then install a standard SRW bed on it.

This would give me a 34" tall SRW tire that can take advantage of the dually rear axle with 3.73 gearing and it would allow me to legally carry and haul a lot more weight than a standard F350 SRW truck.

I understand the tires would ride stiffer than factory wheels/tires, but I should get slightly better or at least equal fuel mileage to the factory wheels/tires. The 19.5 tires themselves would certainly last longer as well.

If I go down the route, I still need to find the answers to the following questions:

If I take the front hub spacers off, what is the bolt pattern under them. Is it the 8x170 of the F350 SRW? If so, then I could run the Vision 81 wheels on them.

What is the axle WMS measurement (front spacers off) compared the rear dually WMS? If the rear is narrower, I would think I could run a spacer to go from the 8x200 of the dually down the 8x170 bolt pattern of a SRW truck.

The other option is the run the Rickson steel wheels that have different backspacing and are designed as front only or rear only wheels.

So, there is my idea/questions. Flame away and tell me why this is a bad idea.

Thanks,

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like way to much work and expense to gain nothing in my opinion. Ive always owned duallys and to be honist that extant width just looks scarry. Also I'm getting the same kind of fuel economy as most with there single rear wheel
Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 AM

and if u buy a cab and chassis thats what i got out of it u will be getting a detuned version of the 6.7 for one every single thing u r talking about doing will void ur warranty and like said above way to much work by a f450 truck and teach ur wife to drive it lol
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 AM

Those "hacked up" fenders would be easier and cheaper to replace then what your talking about. CC trucks are detuned like someone up there^^^ said.

Why is there no emoticon like: 1st post = Guys paying Russian roulette ?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
Those "hacked up" fenders would be easier and cheaper to replace then what your talking about. CC trucks are detuned like someone up there^^^ said.

Why is there no emoticon like: 1st post = Guys paying Russian roulette ?
do what
Old 04-02-2013, 03:09 AM

It sounds like way more work than it's worth. How much are you looking to haul?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 AM

I hope this was an April fools thread...

Obvious problems would be the fact that you won't be able to tow any more than a SRW truck. The dual wheels are there for a reason and it's to help handle addition load from big goose necks/heavy payloads. If you want more pulling power just buy a SRW and swap the rear end to 4.30's from Ford. It would be a ton cheaper that way also...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No April Fools joke and I'm not looking at a CC truck.

Just want to convert an F-350 DRW to a F-350 SRW truck. You would be able to haul more because the sticker on the door jamb would "legally" allow you to carry more and the 19.5 singles on the rear axle would be up to the job. Also, go compare the size of axle tubes between the 2 trucks...huge difference.

With a SRW truck, you can only haul up to 15,900 lbs. A DRW brings you up to 22,500 if I remember correctly. Net result is 6000+ lbs of additional towing capacity. The limiting factor of the SRW truck is both the carrying capacity of the rear tires and that silly door sticker.

While a SRW can haul more than what is pasted on the door jamb, I don't want to get in a situation where I'm in trouble for being overweight. In today's suit happy world, I'd rather be legal than take my chances defending myself in court.

Also, I can't bring myself to drive a dually. They are ugly, especially the newer fenders, and are not overly friendly when driving in town.

While it may be a little more effort and money on the front end to do this, I keep my rigs a long time and have no problem creating the right tool for the job I want it to do.

Adam
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM

I forgot to say above that the duallys have a bed that is cut out. If you take the plastic fenders off you would see where they cut the lip out of the wheel opening. I guess they do that to prevent rot??
Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1Pa View Post
I forgot to say above that the duallys have a bed that is cut out. If you take the plastic fenders off you would see where they cut the lip out of the wheel opening. I guess they do that to prevent rot??
Never mind that last post I forgot you just want cab and Chassis truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.