Truck is about to sit for 6 months - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Made In America

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck is about to sit for 6 months

Alright guys another deployment coming up and truck will be parked for 6 months. This will be my first deployment with this truck, or a diesel for that matter. So there are two parts to this question :

1. Truck checklist:
I know there is a controversy over leaving the tank full or empty, the more air the more condensation? Is there anything else I should do to the truck prior to leaving it?

2. Storage:
I left my car on base last time at long term parking (exposed outdoors) which was fine bc it was a cheap car, but they lost my keys, had to get new ones made, it was a huge ordeal. Needless to say im not entrusting the rent a cops to take care of my truck. So there are some self storages nearby that have a 10x25 for anywhere from 250-350 a month, which I think is robbery. BUT for insurance it will be placed in 'storage' so ill be saving there. Now the alternative is to find a nice cover and leave it on base. Im not worried at all about anything happening to it on base, its just the elements im worried about. My bud left his truck covered once and said something got up under and F'd the paint.

SO, what needs to be done to the truck, and should I bend over and pay to have it stored in a unit or is there a cover that is worthwhile that will actually protect it. If I got the cover I would for sure strap it down and pad lock it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Truck is about to sit for 6 months

It would have to be a very nice cover that could stand six months of abuse idk if I could trust a cover for that long without being able to check on it regularly

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Made In America

Yeah, but I mean Im sort of invisioning where it hangs down on either side, going under the truck and pulling each side together with like a strap of some sort, and locking it on ? Just wrap the whole truck up like a burrito hahaha Something like this ?

http://www.buyautocovers.com/truck-c...cover-1554419/

Last edited by Guardian29; 03-20-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

$1800 is a lot to store it for 6 months, but the thought of something destroying my paint would make me sick.....tough trade off.

Are there other storage options within a hour or two drive for less? Friends house? Could someone be trusted to periodically check the cover/ crank it over every couple weeks? Drive it without mashing the gas?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM

A buddy of mine pays to have his car wrapped with the new car film/wrap stuff before he goes overseas. First a good quality polish and wax, by a detailer, then the wrap goes on.

His dealer does it for pretty cheap.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Truck is about to sit for 6 months

Ya $1800 is rough, but to know its locked up and outta the weather I'd probably go that route myself

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
A buddy of mine pays to have his car wrapped with the new car film/wrap stuff before he goes overseas. First a good quality polish and wax, by a detailer, then the wrap goes on.

His dealer does it for pretty cheap.
Great idea. I know folks up north do this to winterize their boats. You can buy the plastic wrap and shrink wrap it yourself. Then throw the car cover over for added insurance.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 PM

Just north of you I see a lot of cars outside covered up. But only for the first couple months, then the sun damage dry rots the cover, it rips, flaps in the wind scratching the living poop out of the paint.
I would get it out of the sun atleast.

For the fuel tank, diesel doesn't degrade like gasoline so leave it full to do what you stated above "prevent condensation"
Best of luck
Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Made In America

Re: Truck is about to sit for 6 months

OK cool thanks for the input. As far as friends/family that's a solid negative no friends out here that aren't coast guard and family, I'm the last one left. Just me, so the plastic wrap is a good idea but I would be hesitant of it not being able to breathe enough. And most of the storage units are not climate controlled so the benefit of outside is it will always dry. It may get 100 outside but that unit us gunna be 120+. I think I may just add some stabil or equivelant and get a real nice cover and secure the **** out of it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

thats a toughy there. i think i would go with the storage unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.