First Oil Change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Oil Change

Self performed the first oil change today at 7,300 miles. The computer did not say "oil change required" but had been saying "oil change soon" for a couple of weeks. Pretty much straight foreword other than the dipstick is extremely difficult to read. I had to reinsert the dipstick several times to get the correct oil level. IMO the dipstick on this motor leaves much to be desired. How many quarts does this motor take anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will be doing my first change this week also. As the required amount in the manual says 13 I believe but seems like I remember people saying it takes more. How much did you add in?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Completed my first change today at 4,000 miles, changed early because IM at 6 months plus IM towing a 5th Wheel. I poured in 13 quarts as per the Ford manual. Probably as much debate with oil amounts on the 6.7 as there was with the ol' reliable 7.3 Turbo PSD at 14 quarts. The dip stick on the 6.7 has to be the worse design for location and reading oil level ever for a Ford F Series pick up.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Right at 14 quarts. The dipstick is very hard to read the level.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ninty7 View Post
Completed my first change today at 4,000 miles, changed early because IM at 6 months plus IM towing a 5th Wheel. I poured in 13 quarts as per the Ford manual. Probably as much debate with oil amounts on the 6.7 as there was with the ol' reliable 7.3 Turbo PSD at 14 quarts. The dip stick on the 6.7 has to be the worse design for location and reading oil level ever for a Ford F Series pick up.
I towed my camper twice, a total of about 200 miles. 13,000 lb 5th wheel and it towed it wonderfully. I wanted to change the oil sooner but FoMoCo clearly says to trust the computer.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Emergency Services

^ that's hard to do...I don't think I could trust the computer
Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 PM

First Oil Change

I kept waiting and waiting for the computer and finally decided to go ahead and change the oil around 7k. I couldn't wait any longer especially for the 1st change. You're right about the dipstick. It's definitely not the easiest to read. I used 13 qts of Rotella 5W40 and from what I can tell its just right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
I towed my camper twice, a total of about 200 miles. 13,000 lb 5th wheel and it towed it wonderfully. I wanted to change the oil sooner but FoMoCo clearly says to trust the computer.
Personally, I don't care what that oil life computer says that's why they have a reset button. IM staying with 5,000 mile interval especially when towing a 36 Ft 12,000# 5th Wheel.

I reset the "A" gauge monitor every fill up and the "B" gauge will be reset at oil changes and this will be my visual oil change mileage monitor, plus record the gals of fuel used, hours, and fuel mileage over the course of my last oil change.

IM taking my first 300 mile trip pulling my 5ver next week and aside from a test tow the 6.7 is awesome. My test tow of 20 miles with starts, stops, hills up and down met my expectations. There was zero drive line shutter on starts and the tow haul feature is very nice.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
Right at 14 quarts. The dipstick is very hard to read the level.
Had to drain about one quart the next day. Oil level was easier to read the next morning.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM

Put 13 quarts in it. Crank it up and let it run for a few minutes to heat up the oil. Let it sit for a minute or two then read the stick. Pouring in cold oil and not cranking the motor will not give you an accurate reading on the dip stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.