Whistling Noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whistling Noise

I have a 2011 F250 Lariat and while I'm driving and it's windy outside I sometimes get the loud whistling noise. Sounds like it's from the front drivers side area and near the vented plastic piece between the hood and windshield. Anyone else have this issue or know how to prevent it? It's not that big of a deal and only happens occasionally when the wind is at a certain angle with the truck. It's actually kinda funny but can be annoying also. I've had the truck for 2 years and it's done it since new I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 2011 F250 Lariat did the same thing. Dealer replaced driver door seal and fixed it. If you are out of warranty, buy a new seal and do this simple job at home.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought a 2011 F350 crew/long and have the same issue. I thought I had read once that the rubber seal around the windshield can cause it too, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM

I have a 2012 and when I bought the truck I could hear whistling coming from the drivers side mirror. By doing some taping of different cracks around the mirror I was able to determine that there was a small gap where the lower arm of the mirror attaches to the mirror itself. When the mirrors are folded in you can see what looks to be a little felt piece attached to the arm of the mirror. A very small dab of grease on this felt stopped this whistling and it hasn't come back. Might not be the same thing you are hearing but it might be worth checking out.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same noise when the wind is blowing just right. It really sounds like it is coming from the cowl area towards the middle of the windshield.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have 2011 Lariat and had wind noise that resembled a harmonica coming from my windshield around 80 mph highway speeds or on windy days. It was driving me crazy! First time I took it to dealer they claimed that they got a local auto glass place to reseal the windshield. I got truck back and noise was still there. On second visit to dealer for this issue they kept truck for a week saying they could not replicate the problem. I then started a claim with Ford Customer Service and they told me it was a characteristic of these trucks and it was normal. I asked them to buy truck back and I'd get a 2013 but got no luck with that. Huge waste of time.

I recently took it back to dealer and fussed more and they claimed that somone different was going to remove the windshield and reseal it. That was about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard the noise yet...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine does the same thing. It's an issue with the seal on the windshield. Only fix I have heard thus far is to have the windshield resealed. I haven't done it yet, but plan to.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Duct Tape

My 2011 F-250 King Ranch has this very same problem! Happens usually after I've been on the road for awhile (highway), when there is a cross-wind and at high speeds. I am taking it in today to get the windshield reset and resealed. Hope that solves my problem. I read on one of these forums that duct tape along the edge of the outside seal and the windshield will stop the hum. Once I isolated where the whistling/humming sound was coming from I was able to stop it with one little 2"x2" piece of duct tape. I now keep it handy in case the noise starts. Hope the reset/reseal job fixes the problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.