Are you happy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you happy?

Hi everyone,
I'm now in the market for a new truck and wanted your opinions, My 6.0 is becoming a repair bill that I just can't keep up with, and I've come to the conclusion it's time to trade in before the ship goes down. I'm just going to be outright honest and say I'm not positive it will be a blue oval again, Im looking at the Ford and the Ram. Id be using the truck as a daily driver, towing a skid steer, and snow plowing (as a snow plow business) and on the side towing and hauling jobs. I'm 20 years old and really just need the diesel for its power pushing snow and hauling equipment, and I was going to go Lariat again for the fact I sit in it everyday of the week. I don't plan on doing any tunes, deleting any EGRs or parts etc.. the only thing I'd change is an exhaust and throw in my strobe lights. I don't want to get ripped apart on the forum I'm just trying to give you guys my situation, I've seen a lot of the horror stories on here of people with 6.7's and problems are still occuring, This truck is going to be my work lively hood and even if she is under warranty, I can't be telling commercial business's and 30 residents "sorry I'm in the shop again" and at the price tag of these trucks, I morally and personally don't want to be sitting in the shop. But enough of me ranting about my psycho personal life, I just want to know, are you guys happy with your 6.7? Is there more to this new motor and truck then the horrors of the 6.0 and some of the 6.7 stories I come across? Or do I bite the bullet and try Cummins?

again this isn't to offend anyone, Im on my own out here and dont really have anyone family or friend wise to turn to for advice on these trucks or situations, what are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance - Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage1256 View Post
I don't plan on doing any tunes, deleting any EGRs or parts etc.. the only thing I'd change is an exhaust , what are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance - Jay
You won't be doing anything to exhaust without tuning, and losing your warranty.

I love my stock (besides bigger tires) truck. I am happy!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 AM

Are you happy?

14k miles trouble free. Have 6.0 and 6.4 and the 6.7 so far is the best

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I love my truck!
In the last month and a half I put 12,000 miles on my 2012 Ford 6.7L crew cab 4x4. Minus the no mega cab option on the Ford it blows, my traded in 2008 Dodge 6.7, out of the water! It was purchased in late Nov. And it now has 20,000 miles on it.

I also tow a bobcat and I get 13-14 miles per gallon while doing that. I also have a 40' toy hauler and it tows that with ease. My friend has a new Dodge diesel and towed a Suzuki Samuria with it and it went into limp mode.

If you do buy a Dodge, I bet you will regret that move like I did and come back to Ford.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine is awesome . I have an 12 f350 cc sb. All stock for now and I like it compared to my old 6.7 cummins 2007 and my tundra
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM

I went from a 2004 6.0 to a 2012 6.7 and love it. I seriously looked at the RAM but just wasn't comfortable with it. My 6.0 was tuned and this 6.7 blows it away stock for towing.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have 56k miles on my 2011 6.7. I love this truck stock. It has more power than my prior tuned 6.0. It tows better and rides better than my old 6.0.
I have had only two minor issues with the truck and those were fixed in one day.

Most turbo issues are with tuned trucks and the chasis cabs. There is chatter about valves as well. Dodge, Duramax, & Ford forums are loaded with all kinds of issues that are scary.

The tranny in the Dodge sucks among other things and can't get the power down. Most Dodge guys don't like the new engine and are going Ford.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM

With close to 80,000 miles on my truck, I think it is the best truck I've owned. I pull a skid loader, mini excavator or a GN horse trailer almost daily. Ford replaced my front stabilizer to fix the Death Wobble and replaced a couple of solenoids in my tranny at 35,900 miles because I had a couple rough shifts. Other than that, I almost never see the service depart at the dealership.

Get 11-13 mpg towing. 14-15 mpg around town, 18-22 mpg on highway drives. Very comfortable to drive. plenty of power to tow with. I think the exhaust braking works well. I frequently come off 7-8% grades at posted speeds with 13,000lbs behind me and never touch my brakes.

With the towing I do, my tires only last about 30,000 miles per set. Change the oil when the IOL prompts. usually around 7,000 miles and change the Fuel and Air filter every other oil change.

You see a few folks complaining on forums like these. And that's what these forums are for. So you see a disportionate number of complaints vs the happy folks who are out driving and enjoying their trucks.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I went from 4 6.0s to a 6.4 and loved it. Then I went to a 6.7 recently, and I absolutely love it!!! You can't go wrong with these trucks!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM

My 6.7 is a beast. I too looked around before settling on Ford. I think Ram is upping the game, but Ford had me with a better cab and I wanted the 8' bed. The ram looks kinda dorky with the small wheels and a long bed SRW truck. I do like their dually though.

You can look at all the forums and see themes with the issues. Nobody is building a perfect truck every day of the year. I think Ford knew they had to nail it with this engine...it's theirs, and I think they did a fine job with it. Honestly, if I'm on damp roads and get on it at 10-40 mph I am hitting the traction control. It's a powerful engine/tranny combination.

I haven't pulled mega loads...but 8K-9k, and while I was concerned with that weight behind my Tundras, this thing just ate it up. I really enjoy driving it.

I do encourage you to test drive them. Make an informed decision. I know a gentleman who owns a local trucking company who is die hard Cummins and was complaining about his 2011 Ram. He was not happy with the mileage or transmission. And, you can find people on here who are dumping Ford to move to Ram. So, people have good experiences and people have bad. But, this engine is not the 6.0. She's solid.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.