Tune or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tune or not?

Have lifetime drive/powertrain warranty on 2011 6.7 from dealer (for original owner), have H&S Mini Maxx race tuner in box, 14k on truck. I'm itching to tune this thing for mpg but seems like so much to throw away if problem re: warranty. I have stock tires on now w 2.5 Icon leveling kit n want to put on 35 s which means more mpg loss, opinions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster92 View Post
Have lifetime drive/powertrain warranty on 2011 6.7 from dealer (for original owner), have H&S Mini Maxx race tuner in box, 14k on truck. I'm itching to tune this thing for mpg but seems like so much to throw away if problem re: warranty. I have stock tires on now w 2.5 Icon leveling kit n want to put on 35 s which means more mpg loss, opinions appreciated.
Instead of 35x12.5 go with something like nitto 295/70/r18 (34.5x11.5) that is if you have 18" wheels. They won't kill you MPG as much being skinnier. Or toyo 285/75/r18(35x11).

Oh and sell me the race tuner for cheap. You don't want to lose your warranty...
Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 AM

I don't understand why anyone would want to "tune and delete" their $50,000 6.7l Scorpion. I figure 400 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque is adequate in a pick up. I would imagine there is no sand pile or muddy bog that would prevent all four wheels from turning, slipping. More torque wouldn't help, would it?

I believe Ford powertrain engineers spent mucho time designing and developing this engine to provide good power, mpg, and reliability. Boosting inlet pressure, fuel delivery, and deleting emission systems can cause premature failue of some component not designed to carry the extra loads.

A Super Duty will never out accelerate a Shelby GT500. A Super Duty will never get the mileage of an average Fusion. But a Super Duty will haul, tow and stop a lot of weight for their size making them very productive for their purpose.

Why risk powertrain failure with a "tune and delete"? Tell me the advantages that outweigh the risks.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 AM

There is no way Id do anything that the dealer could use against you with a lifetime warranty. As GrandPa would say with somethin like this Id make sure you got your T's crossed and your I's dotted....
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Tune or not?

Dbj216,
I agree with what your saying mostly, but, most people here delete the emissions equipment to increase longevity and reliability. The emissions system is bad for the engine, the dpf dilutes the oil with diesel, the egr cakes the intake with soot. You cannot put 500,000 miles on these engines with keeping the emissions equipment on for that whole time with out any issues. You tune because it requires a tuner to turn the dpf off, I run my tuner on the lowest setting, I hurt want a reliable truck that will last a very very long time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks 4 all ur opinions

It is much appreciated
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Tune or not?

I run mine on stock power too just for dpf off reasons. Just bcuz u tune doesn't mean u need to run balls out. Most guys with problems run balls out and blow something. A little red assing now and then doesn't hurt. Look at guys who put the my gig in their trucks. It flashed their comp and shows same thing as a tuner. They are still covered under warranty. Remember... they have to prove your tuner caused the problem not just say it did.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Delete and be done w it, as said above the dpf kills the engine, egr is a joke why would I want exhaust back in my engine, and now my mpg have gone up truck runs great now. As far as warranty is concerned just have to be straight up w dealer and return to stock. My dealer will warranty the work if I do this. My opionion is this do you want a truck that is going to last longer and perform correctly. That being said if you are on the fence, just sell your tuner and be done w it. It all comes down to maintence and not driving the s#$@ out of it. Most of the ppl on here and other forums neglect this and thats why you see problems w a tuner and dpf delete. I say delete and tune
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Like you I debated for 25,000 miles as concerned about warranty, but want longivity. Bit the bullet and did it 1,500 miles ago, should have done it day 1. Engine can breath, love the transmission shift, and averaging 20MPG on highway; 18 before delete. Whole new engine operating on mostly tow, but also street. You have to make the decission but keep your foot off the floor and I personally do not think you will have any problems. All the best with the decision.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Dbj216,
You cannot put 500,000 miles on these engines with keeping the emissions equipment on for that whole time with out any issues.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Who says you can't get 500,000 miles on a stock engine. This guy already has

Says he just had to replace the radiator. Sounds like the engine with the emissions is doing pretty good.

VIDEO0034.mp4 - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.