Wheel bearing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Wheel bearing?

I was hearing a grinding noise. Which was definitely a rotational issue. Brought the truck to the dealership and they say its the front wheel bearings. My question is the truck has 34000 miles on it, is it normal for the bearings to go out this soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedagain11 View Post
I was hearing a grinding noise. Which was definitely a rotational issue. Brought the truck to the dealership and they say its the front wheel bearings. My question is the truck has 34000 miles on it, is it normal for the bearings to go out this soon?
My left front went out and it had 59,000 on it. I live in southeast Missouri and had to get one from a ford dealer in Indiana because my local dealers were saying they were on backorder from ford. They don't make things like they use to and there is no reason wheel bearings should be going out this early on a 60k dollar pickup. I have a 2002 f250 with 167,000 on it and it's never had one put in it
Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Apparently the wheel bearings aren't built Ford tough. Well the part is on back order. They are not sure how long it will take to get in. I was told its completely ok to drive the truck. I had them put a note on the paperwork that "owner was advised by dealership ok to drive vehicle until part arrives". I also snowplow with the truck and they said no worries. Hopefully part arrives soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Update: the part came in on Friday. Brought truck in today they said your truck is done. Picked it up and clear as day the noise is still there. Have an appointment tomorrow to see what's going on. Will update again when I get some answers.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 AM

Update. Now the dealership is telling me its just my tires that are making the noise. I have duratrac studded tires I use for the winter. I told them it was making the same noise before I switched to my winter tires. The ones that came with the truck ( rugged trail ). I really don't think it's the tires I said. His response was well at least you have a 60,000 power train warranty. Can anyone recommend a dealership with perhaps more knowledgeable techs in Utah. I'm from Park City. I'm just confused how they can first say its the wheel bearings, replace them and they say its your tires. I have two more months before I switch my tires back and really want to remedy this before then.
Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had the exact same problem except my truck had 25,000 miles on it. the noise only comes out when the truck is in 4x4. its like a loud ticking or clicking noise. brought the truck to the dealer and it sat their for over a week waiting for the same back ordered wheel bearings put the truck in 4x4 the following weekend and the noise was still there. i am running nitto trail grapplers so that is not the problem. they were also supposed to recalibrate my tire size for 35'' and now my speedo is off by 6mph
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wheel bearing?

I had same problem ... dealer told me almost same things as you guys. I pulled lug cover off and found one side was locked and other was in free. I turned the hub to free and that fixed mine. I had 15k when I noticed the sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 PM

I'll check that out lf83. I do notice now whenever I switch to 4x4 it makes a loud click. That's something that started after they replaced the bearings. It's frustrating when your told its one thing and its not.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wheel bearing?

Yep. Loud pop about 3-5 feet after I would take off from stop. I have 35" mtz's so couldn't here sound that well either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM

Just checked both lockers are set to auto. Is there another way to check them other than the locker itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.