6.7 or 6.7? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 or 6.7?

Hey guys we just sold our 2010 f150 and now looking at buying a new diesel our 97 cummins isn't up to it anymore. Anyways we are looking at buying either a dodge or a ford very soon. I am suppose to get prices from dodge tomorrow on a loaded cummins, also be phoning down to the states to get prices on a 13 ford. were still not sure what to get have driven both like the ford more but worried if its going to last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Reliability wise...consumer reports gives the edge to Ford over GM and Dodge. Same for mileage.

Each has their pro's and con's....but I am super glad I bought a Ford. I come from a string of Toyotas and reliability is very important to me. 12,000 miles and zero issues for me. F350 CC LB 3.55 4WD. The thing is a beast.

Cummins has a reputation that I think was built on the 5.9...not subsequent engines. A local guy has a trucking company and is a Cummins fan...but is not a fan of his 2010 Ram. He is very disappointed. That being said...he still drives it.

I don't really think you can go "wrong" with either. I see people pulling loads with each. Some people are die hard one way or the other. I think Ford did a great job with this engine and truck. Mine is rock solid. No creaks. No rattles. Yeah...it rides like an F350...which is a better ride than F350's from years ago. Very quiet inside.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Everything has changed for the positive for Ram in 2013.
Ram has stubbornly used the same EGR technology like the one Ford used with the 6.4L. Robs everything from a diesel.
The new 13' Cummins will now use SCR technology like everybody else, and power and mileage will be as good or better than the competition. Engine wise, there is no comparison. The Cummins is in a class of it's own when compared to the 6.7L Powerstroke.

Last edited by George C; 01-27-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM

^were not waiting for a 13 dodge heard they won't be out till april or may year's basically half over already. we will be buying in the next month and won't get the rebates on a 13 dodge as you will on a 12.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought a 2012 Ford two weeks ago. The rebates and financing on the Ford are gret right now. I love this truck. We just took my neighbors 2011 Duramax on a 600 mile trip, and even he admitted my Ford rode nicer. I agree with what was said above, the 5.9 Cummins is not the engine used today. The Dodge is usually cheaper for a reason.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post
Everything has changed for the positive for Ram in 2013.
Ram has stubbornly used the same EGR technology like the one Ford used with the 6.4L. Robs everything from a diesel.
The new 13' Cummins will now use SCR technology like everybody else, and power and mileage will be as good or better than the competition. Engine wise, there is no comparison. The Cummins is in a class of it's own when compared to the 6.7L Powerstroke.
The 5.9 cummins is in a class of its own. The 6.7 cummins has yet to prove itself, especially since they are just now putting on extra emissions crap. In 5 years we will see how they hold up.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
The 5.9 cummins is in a class of its own. The 6.7 cummins has yet to prove itself, especially since they are just now putting on extra emissions crap. In 5 years we will see how they hold up.
BL my friend..
Do you even understand the what the "extra emissions crap" is, or what it does, or how it effects the engine?
Do you know what SCR is or how it works? EGR and it's effects?
If not then I suggest looking in to it more before commenting. In short, it cuts down on EGR by over 40% by allowing emissions aplications to take place outside of the engine instead of inside.

I think the OP has made up his mind because of the rebates, and I would pass on the EGR only 12' or 13' Cummins, but I would strongly consider the 14' Ram that comes out in a few weeks. The Cummins itself is built five times the Powerstroke in every way, especially after the 6.7L Powerstroke as proved to have many weak and failing parts. Some not covered under warranty such as the fuel pump.. The SCR will only allow the 13' 6.7L Cummins to become a free breathing machine once again.

Last edited by George C; 01-28-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM

George...why do you hang on the 6.7 forum to simply bash it? Hundreds of thousands of great 6.7 Powerstrokes rolling around and you (who have a kick butt truck) have to keep repeating "weak internals" "no comparison" talking points. I'd put my "weak" powerstroke up against anything offered by a competitor. Sure, I can find strengths and weaknesses with any and all of them....and roll back a couple years in the model years and that is true too. I am sorry you don't like the new 6.7. People have successfully tuned them. People are pulling with them.

With all due respect...I just don't understand the bashing. People on here are using them in hardworking situations every day...and having great results. Doesn't that indicate Ford did something right?

Sorry to vent...I just want to say that I don't roll into the 6.4 forum tearing it up for things I found wanting when I was looking at a used 6.4 vs the current 6.7. So...not trying to PO you...just trying to offer some perspective...
Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucpa111 View Post
George...why do you hang on the 6.7 forum to simply bash it? Hundreds of thousands of great 6.7 Powerstrokes rolling around and you (who have a kick butt truck) have to keep repeating "weak internals" "no comparison" talking points. I'd put my "weak" powerstroke up against anything offered by a competitor. Sure, I can find strengths and weaknesses with any and all of them....and roll back a couple years in the model years and that is true too. I am sorry you don't like the new 6.7. People have successfully tuned them. People are pulling with them.

With all due respect...I just don't understand the bashing. People on here are using them in hardworking situations every day...and having great results. Doesn't that indicate Ford did something right?

Sorry to vent...I just want to say that I don't roll into the 6.4 forum tearing it up for things I found wanting when I was looking at a used 6.4 vs the current 6.7. So...not trying to PO you...just trying to offer some perspective...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM

6.7 or 6.7?

I smell a troll....just sayin....

I have ZERO experience with the cummins but I have 3 buds with work truck powerstroke 6.7 from 2011-2013 and I just helped my neighbor order his fully loaded 2013 lariat after driving one a few thousand miles and boy if I had the cash or my truck died it would be a no brainer. What an amazing truck. how that truck meets the new obamamama EPA mandated emissions requirements is beyond me but I ain't complaining!

They all have their strengths and weaknesses fellas--just like they all have die hard fans. Be realistic and play nice.

Can't wait til the 2014 stand off between the big three!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by wilsonw2; 01-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.