Undercoating Worth It? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Undercoating Worth It?

I am interested in rust protection and sound deadening.

Are dealer sprayed undercoatings worth it? Does it make the truck significantly quieter? Does it offer any protection from nasty ice covered gravel roads? I live in a winter state where rusting is chronic.

I read about folks painting the underneath with various products for rust protection. It sounds messy and time consuming, especially if done every year.

What did you do to protect your new Super Duty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My opinion: yes...its worth it. Not sure I notice any difference with sound but does keep under carriage from rusting. I skip dealer and take My cars/trucks to ziebart.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Undercoating Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post

What did you do to protect your new Super Duty?
I store mine over the winter..
But, I bought a new Silverado for winter plowing and driving. I did have the truck rust proofed because it will only see winter duty since it sits in a garage all summer. There is no sound deadening to speak of. These trucks are so quiet now that sound deadening is only a cheap sales pitch.
I find it worth it because it's cheap, and the spray fills the wheel well open body and frame gaps where salt, and more importantly, mud and grit which holds moisture would sit. I had mine done at the dealership when it was new, and they did a nice job.

If you are concerned about appearance like me, wash it a lot. I also have a hot water hose in my garage, and I spray out the wheel wells almost daily.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM

Ive had my 2012 f350 since August, last year. Is it too late to do the undercoating? I had the option from the Dealer but they wanted $1500. I live in Utah, and they use ALOT of salt. I dont want it to rust and look like crap in the future.

Also, the problem is here in Utah, I cant find a place that specializes in Under Coating, like Ziebert. I have looked and looked

Last edited by BgCountry; 01-27-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgCountry View Post
Ive had my 2012 f350 since August, last year. Is it too late to do the undercoating? I had the option from the Dealer but they wanted $1500. I live in Utah, and they use ALOT of salt. I dont want it to rust and look like crap in the future.

Also, the problem is here in Utah, I cant find a place that specializes in Under Coating, like Ziebert. I have looked and looked

Wash, wash, wash, wash, especially spraying out up under the wheel wells and under the cab where road ice collects..... That's the best defense.
I wouldn't undercoat it now. You have to undercoat when the truck is brand new, and hasn't been on the road yet. That way, you aren't sealing in wet spots from mud and sand etc. that will rust the truck faster.

In all reality, if you trade it in within 6-7 years, you'll never have a problem with rust. The next guy will.
The main reason I did mine, other than it sees salt more than sun is because I liked the kid who did the paperwork when I bought my truck, so I tossed him the job.
I'll probably replace my winter truck every four years or so, so rust really isn't my concern.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM

I buy it because of winter driving here in Northwest Ohio. Salt is not a friend. I also had rust issues on the first F-250 I ever bought. It had started to bubble over the wheel wells. I had even had the truck rust proofed after hadI bought it. It was used though and I think the damage was done by that point. There is a lip on the inside of the wheel wells on the trucks where the salt, dirt, whatever collects and sits. I wash mine on a weekly basis and always run my hand and hose on that inner lip to move the junk off of it(and there is always something). Why Ford does that I have no idea. I actually had got Ford to pay for the one side rust repair on that first truck and then noticed the other side had started. That is when Ford said no more and threatened to pull funding for the repair of the one side. It was to the tune of $1500. So I had the one side repaired and traded the truck 3 months later. The last two trucks now I have had it rustproofed from day one. Rust is a cancer there is no cure once it starts.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgCountry View Post

I dont think its "too late" to add. I just bought a new to me 2010 F350 and I plan to take to Ziebart to get undercoating put on soon. The truck only had 10,000 miles on it and looks like it spent most its time in a garage so the undercarriage is still clean and no rust.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM

Depends on what you want to undercoat it with...
Personally, I take some Tractor Supply black gloss tractor paint to mine when new...hitting welds, frame...anything I can. It's a messy hour. I do it when it has been dry for a week....so no water being trapped.

I use FluidFilm to rust coat and get in all the nooks and crannies. Again...another hour to 1.5 hours well spent. Easy to do by yourself if you have a decent air compressor and sprayer. ~$37/gallon. A gallon will do. I live in NW PA....in the lake effect snow belt and they pound the roads with salt and anti icing spray. My last Tundra was a 2006 with 90,000 miles and it looked awesome underneath.

A stitch in time saves nine...so a couple hours spent getting a little closer to your truck at the end of summer will keep it looking great each year.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugelle View Post
I dont think its "too late" to add. I just bought a new to me 2010 F350 and I plan to take to Ziebart to get undercoating put on soon. The truck only had 10,000 miles on it and looks like it spent most its time in a garage so the undercarriage is still clean and no rust.
Sugelle, I think Im going to do the same thing this spring. I Found a place in Denver that specializes in Under coating. 5 year Warranty. My truck only has 2k miles on it, so Im going to do it ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.