Hill descent - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hill descent

Has anyone used this useless feature? My warranty is up in 2000 miles and so I wanted to make sure everything was working. It appears to me that this Hill Descent feature doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM

I got to use it the other day when I missed turn to rural address and made it to top of moutains in lots of snow and ice. Comming back down steep parts in 4 hi eld and was starting to speed up on the melted snow that was icey and decided to hit that useless button and was very suprised. Other than that I have never used it.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
Has anyone used this useless feature? My warranty is up in 2000 miles and so I wanted to make sure everything was working. It appears to me that this Hill Descent feature doesn't work.
How doesn't it work?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 AM

Mine works...12,000 miles
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 AM

Reference Page 227 in Owners Manual

It works like a cruise control for going SLOWLY down steep grades, maybe with a heavy load. The set speeds need to be below 12 mph. The system will apply brakes to maintain the speed so you don't have to. Press the hill decent button, brake until you are under 12 mph, and release the brakes. The system will maintain that speed, like 10mph.

I have not been in a situation where I felt the need for it. But maybe towing my 10K pound my camper down a winding mountain gravel backroad with a 20% grade, no guard rails, lots of switchbacks, and the wife gasping as she looks down the drop off. It might be handy in that kind of situation.

By the way, the brakes can still overheat. The manual says to cool things down after using Hlll Desent.

Last edited by dbj216; 01-27-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolve View Post
How doesn't it work?
I started off going down a steep hill - pushed the button, braked to slow down to 10 mph let go of the brake and the truck accelerated - braked to 5 mph, let go of the brake and the truck accelerated. The Hill Descent icon lights up and stays lit in the instrument cluster so long as I am below 20 mph. It does not start flashing if I slow down to 10 mph but it goes out above 20 mph.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM

I tried mine a couple of times with the Horse trailer hooked up. And didn't like the way it worked. Truck would slow but trailer was pushing and wanting to jack knife the truck. Especially on gravel road where the grip was a little loose.

Figure it was better suited to a truck that didn't have 13,000lbs pushing it from behind.

empty truck it works just fine. Push button Slow down with brakes and it will hold that slow speed down the hill and you can use your feet to keep yourself pushed back in the seat.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I started off going down a steep hill - pushed the button, braked to slow down to 10 mph let go of the brake and the truck accelerated - braked to 5 mph, let go of the brake and the truck accelerated. The Hill Descent icon lights up and stays lit in the instrument cluster so long as I am below 20 mph. It does not start flashing if I slow down to 10 mph but it goes out above 20 mph.
I tested mine today but from a stopped position. Accelerated to 5 mph down a 20% grade and it held that speed. You might want to try that and if it fails report the issue. As the forum suggests it is a pretty useless feature but the failure could be indicative of a larger issue so I would get it fixed under warranty (and inquire about an ESP while there).
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Its just a abs braking system. I have to mess around with some very ugly grades in the snow and mud at work and I gotta say it does all right. Kinda wish I could set the speed myself but what the heck, I get paid by the hour...
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM

Considering it's part of the FX-4 offroad pkg. I believe this feature is geared more for off-roading when your not towing any loads. And yes, make sure to let your brake system cool off after using this system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.