Truck Broken Into - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Broken Into

I just moved to Dallas on Monday and my truck was broken into on Wednesday night. I have a 2011 F-250 KR and they busted out the rear drivers side window and stole several items. I live in a nice part of town and park in a gated parking garage. I am worried that this will happen again and dont want to pay $600 for another busted out window.

My question is...How hard is it to steal one of these trucks? I understand that the super duty's are a hot item as far as theft goes, especially in Texas. My friend in Atlanta leaves his doors unlocked and takes all valuables out of his truck to keep thief's from busting out his windows and I have been thinking about doing the same. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 AM

Welcome to Dallas. It depends on where you are in town. Never leave valuables in sight. I suspect these trucks are as easy to steal as anything. There is a fix for the door locks that ads a steal plate to prevent screw driver entry. Saw it somewhere on a thread. Lot of petty criminal element around here.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unfortunately, these trucks are easy to get into and they are pretty easy to steal. A lot of the stolen trucks in Texas end up in Mexico. Not a lot you can do to prevent it. An alarm with a pager key fob will help you a little bit. There are some people that have wired up kill switches but I don't know what the success rate has been with those.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Jimmy Jammers will help keep them from busting out the lock or taking a screwdriver to the door.

Having installed these I think they are only a little effective. Move the screwdriver down a few inches in the sheetmetal and you'll be past the JJ.
I guess the hope is that they'll run into the JJ not expecting it and get frustrated and move on. Your door is mangled, but the truck will still be there. That's the theory anyway.

Should you choose to go this route, good luck finding a dealer. JJ's dealer network sucks.

For TX folks where theft is so high, look into the Ravelco.
Ravelco - Product Information Page
They claim no one has ever stolen a vehicle with this system.

FYI: there's a vid somewhere of thieves videotaping a theft of a superduty. It's like 38 seconds from approaching the vehicle to driving away.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is my understanding that on the newer trucks the computer has to recognize a microchip in the key in order for the engine to start, does that not prevent the truck from starting if someone attemped to "hot wire" it?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It really does matter what you do if they want you truck they are going to take it. Probably the only reason they broke in your truck was you left stuff in plain sight. I had a friend that got caught stealing cars and he told me if they really wanted you car/truck they would get it. Car alarm, chiped keys or low jack wouldn't stop them. In newer cars they just unplug the computer and plug in there's. Plus most thieves break windows cause it's faster and easier. On his own car he had a battery disconnect hidden inside the car some where so when they tried to crank it and it didn't he hoped they would move on to another vehicle. I guess that's why we have insurance but is still sucks no matter what.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Good insurance is your best bet. Jimmy Jammers are a waste in my opinion. Until 09 I believe ford did not use PATS (chipped key). Dont leave ANYTHING in plain sight.

A cop on a local DFW site said FtWorth PD was chasing a F250, it ran up the access road, ebraked it and turned the truck sideways on the ramp. Another stolen trucks backs down the ramp and picks the guy up. Cops cant go passed the truck because it is blocking the ramp. Needless to say, the thieves were gone.

edit/// These trucks are easily replaceable so let them take it. Broken windows and what not suck and cost money. Like said above, Id rather leave my doors unlocked.

Last edited by 8mpg; 01-24-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.