Extreme cold weather - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Extreme cold weather

I am getting ready to head up to the oil fields in North Dakota. The projected high is going to be -13 degrees and a low of -24 degrees. I am concerned about having problems with my diesel fuel system gelling or freezing. I use the recommended fuel winter treatment now in Iowa and plug my block heater in at night and haven't had a problem. The weather I'm heading to is much colder. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Extreme cold weather

I don't think you will have any issues if you are already plugging in and adding winter fuel additive, maybe the next thing to think about would be your oil weight. Don't want to run anything too heavy in those kinds of temps.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpauly View Post
I am getting ready to head up to the oil fields in North Dakota. The projected high is going to be -13 degrees and a low of -24 degrees. I am concerned about having problems with my diesel fuel system gelling or freezing. I use the recommended fuel winter treatment now in Iowa and plug my block heater in at night and haven't had a problem. The weather I'm heading to is much colder. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Just keep doing what your already doing and maybe switch oil weight, I think you will be fine. These 6.7's have a good rep. for cold weather starting. One other thing you might want to do is add silicone to your door strips/moldings to avoid pulling them off when opening your doors.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 AM

I spent last winter in ND in the oil patch. I didn't plug in at night and the truck started just fine at -25. I did switch to Synthetic Oil and did use an anti gel fuel additive and winterized fuel.

I did wish that I had a radiator cover. It was hard getting the cab warmed up some mornings. Even a 60 mile drive and the engine would still be in high idle trying to warm up.

Last edited by Painted Horse; 01-20-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 AM

if you get your fuel from a reliable source, ie, a big name company and not some little mid highway place, and you plug whenever you will be engine off for more than 3 hours, you will be fine. Its -30C here today and my truck will turnover no problem.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Extreme cold weather

I'd just throw in a double dose of winter fuel conditioner until I was sure I was getting winter diesel. Up here it gets into -30's C and there have been lots of times I've never added any conditioner to my tank with no issues. Some companies like Shell have a second grade of diesel you can buy which has winter fuel conditioner already added, at least around here anyway.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM

Re: Extreme cold weather

The other morning I forgot to plug mine in and it was -21f and mine fired right up to high idle. And said on the screen "Do not drive!" then had a timer that counted down from 20sec then said "OK to drive" I let it idle for about half hour before I drove it. I also am running power service anti gel cetane booster

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Made a trip to canada last week the temp was -31F. I just added the recommended Diesel Kleen and never had a problem. The display did give a count down til i could drive, like 15 seconds.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How cold does it have to get before the high idle will kick in? Its been in the mid twenties and my idle has never picked up. All my previous diesels would idle up at 45F, but not this 2011. I was just thinking it was a new design with the new engine and not supposed to.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM

It's been 5-9F around here in the mornings and mine goes into high idle at those temps. I don't recall it bumping up into high idle when the morning temps were in the 20's. I suspect the trigger point is between those temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.