I think its time for a change. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think its time for a change.

Well 3 years owning a dodge im ready to come back to a ford. This thread im hoping to be very nice and we could compare and contrast some of the goods from a 2010 dodge 6.7 to a 2013 f350 6.7. I sold my 2002 3 yrs ago and bought this dodge rigth when the 6.7s first came out. I was not buying a new engine cause i know how that works sometimes. I wasnt buying a 6.4 being all the rad issue and injector issues they where having with seals leaking and that terrible fuel in oil bs. At the time i was making less money and could get a big horn dodge cheaper so went with a 2010 2500 crew short bed 6 speed g56. This was a mistake in its self cause i really wanted a mega laramie this was alot before the laramie limited and longhorn. This time ill be doing that all right.

Now im no longer in the ford diesle loop being this isnot a Navistar built product BUT i do alot of work for a Company Select Energy services and they just so happen to have a whole fleet of 2011 f2 3 450s and they have had very very very few issues with the engines. Seems they have issues with power windows more that anything. That being said i feel the 6.7 has stood the test of time 3 yrs running very few issues.

Now my dodge is far from stock as well. I invested alot of money into it and its now a 48re conversion runs about 12.1 in the quarter to save a longer story. This is no longer practical and want something i can start a family with better if i wanna take the truck and something without a stack for noise for a kid(although i love my SS) I do not plan on doing any kind of deletes or anything i dont have the time to mess with it anymore nor do i even want to.

Something i have liked about the dodge stock was how good the exhaust braker works. Does the ford perform as well? HAve heard no from people and not that it really matters still a question i have some you guys. The in floor storage was something i like and dislike on the dodge. Is great for caring things but terrible when it came time to mount my air dog. Big fan of the mirror set up and no i dont leave them flipped up.LOL Ease of working on them is one of the greastest things. But i wont worry about that since i dont plan on modding it.

One thing i dont like at all is there is no fold flat seating on a crew just a mega flod flat. Stock auto trans shifts like pure garbage i mean garbage its utterly terrible by all means feels like a 1960 olds! This is one reason i bought a g56. The cruise control is mounted on some sort of weird stock mounted to the wheel. Although they changed this in 2011 its still weird but ive grown to adapt to it. Door panels vibrate when play music louder. Lacks power stock when not towing. Never did ride as i expected. My 2002 f350 sb crew rode better.

So being i have stated the goods and bads about the dodge i can state some goods and bads about the 2013 ford when i get one. Im due to sell my dodge the 25th of this month then once its gone and things settle a lil im gonna hunt for a ford. I was allabout the king ranch for years but this truck is going to be a Platinum crew cab 8ft bed. A few options that are a must for me are the upfitter switchs,rapid cab heat, heavy frnt suspensions to avoid a leveling kit, block heater, cab lights, bed mat, and stowable bed extender. Im kinda stuck on a color issue. I really like the blue jeans color alot. I havent seen one in person yet to tell if i really like it. Black is nice and then the other color i like alot is the platwhite. so really its between Black-Blue Jeans-Plat White.

SOme questions i have i can thing of. How well does the rapid cab heat work? Looks like a heater core with some eletric coils wrapped around it to heat it fater which is a great idea. How much DEF on average do you use? I can get it cheap since i work at a International Dealer. Has anyone hooked up a fuel psi gauge? Im honestly not sure if it has a lift pump or not so it might no work out well. HAs anyone added a extra fuel water seperator to these things? Maybe it has a fuell psi sensor? Has anyone put a dashdaq or something similar on it yet? Id like to know what kinda code it throws if it does and FRP egrp and stuff like that if i could curious if anyones used one yet.

LAst but not least what kinda prices yall getting a high equped KR or lariet. If anyone has a plat edition how much you pay. I was thinking around 8 to 10k off sticker cause idelt dodge down 10k and chevy down 10k for my moms tahoe.

Thanks for any info advice or anything yallhave to offer me!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 PM

Blue Jeans Metallic rules! I recently moved from a fully loaded 2003 Silverado to a 2013 F250 Lariat. The Lariat excels in every aspect however I do miss is the rear seats not folding down flat like my Chevy extended cab; nonetheless the seating much more comfortable and there is room on the floor to stow stuff.
Expect to pay about 10-12% off sticker.
I think its time for a change.-newtruck.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

I was quoted over the phone a 66,000 platinum at 54,000. Very good pricing over the phone. There are a few things ive been seeing with engine issues mainly being turbos. Thats about it though.I do wish they had projectorlight like the 150s but o well. I have considered a 150 too cuase i honestly never ever tow with it and just drive it around plus a gas is much mcuh cheaper tomaintain and i cant get my filters cheap anymore for it like i can my dodge. I just feel ill never be happy with a gas enigine
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

powerstroke8994,

I can't say much about the dodge. I had the 6.7 Cummins for about a year before I sold it. I've had 5 powerstrokes. I love em. I should be slapped for buying that Dodge. I've told this story in another thread before but I'll tell you the reader's digest version.

After buying the Dodge, me and my brother n law were headed to the hunting ranch. This truck still had paper tags. We were pulling a pretty good load and he was driving. About two hours into our 5 hour road trip he looks at me and says " this things a piece of s%^&. It pulls nothing like the Ford Powerstroke". I just looked down at the floorboard and said "I know". There is no substitute. I love my 2012 stroke.

Another thing you should think about. As long as Ford doesn't take money from Obama or as long as they do not sell out to China, we should support them. Both Chevy and Dodge took the money and where did that get us? GM's building Cadi's in China and Chrysler sold a major portion to Fiat. I know Ford made some adjustments but they prepared for a rainy day. If anything, support the brand that supports itself.

Good Luck....
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke8994 View Post
I was quoted over the phone a 66,000 platinum at 54,000. Very good pricing over the phone. There are a few things ive been seeing with engine issues mainly being turbos. Thats about it though.I do wish they had projectorlight like the 150s but o well. I have considered a 150 too cuase i honestly never ever tow with it and just drive it around plus a gas is much mcuh cheaper tomaintain and i cant get my filters cheap anymore for it like i can my dodge. I just feel ill never be happy with a gas enigine
I wouldn't worry about issues reported in the forums; there is probably about a 1000-1 ratio of units sold to those with that issue. It is very expensive for manufacturers to fix problems under warranty so with each passing year they iron them out. Beyond the warranty you could get a Ford ESP. I too will not be towing in the forseable future (until I retire and have a boat) but I do carry a heavy load up to the Sierras's camping a few times a year and now that I've experienced a diesel first-hand I don't think I could go back to a gasser.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM
Premium Member

I know all about fixing problems over time. I've worked for a international dealership my whole career and seen a lot ironed out. The 7.3 was never the best engine till the end. 6.0s believe it or not are pretty good now. Experiencing this with the new maxx13 right now too and I'm beginning to get tires of those now cause they are the most difficult truck engine on the planet. I miss when Navistar made the ford engines and I knew what the whole deal was. Now I'm out of the loop and hate it!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a 2012 Lariat with rapid heat. I live in NW PA and it's a very nice feature. Truck is blowing warm air very quickly. It's one of my favorite features.

Exhaust brake - not as strong as the cummins or the duramax. Never been an issue for me though.

Transmission and engine combo is awesome. I think it's good to checkout all the forums to know what could happen. However, Ford is doing a great job with this truck. Sure, you'll see some die hard 6.4 lovers talk smack about the 6.7 being weak. Uh...400HP and 800 ftlbs ain't weak. And, you will find people running some strong tunes on stock engines with no problems.

I am not brand loyal...there are things I like about all brands and various years throughout the brands. However, for my taste, the Ford fit the bill. And Consumer Reports ranked them the highest among the 3 diesels available.

Good luck! I'd love to see pics of a blue jeans platinum!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 AM

To answer a couple of your questions.

DEF tank holds a little over 5 gallons. On avg you will get about 1000 miles per gallon. That will vary depending on how much you tow and how cold of a climate you live. DEF freezes at 13. I think some guys spend the entire winter with their DEF frozen and never use any. It does have a heater that thaws the tank and the truck runs fine while the tank is frozen. If you do a short commute, it may never thaw because you didn't run the truck long enough. No big deal computer adjust for it.

Rapid Heat is just what you describe. A heater coil. Think 1500 watt hair dryer. It does help to get things starting to warm up. Especially getting the windshield defrosted. But it will not create a warm cab instantly. It is automatic. Turns on when ever the coolant is below 80 and the ambient air is below some preset temp. Turns off as soon as your coolant hits 100. totally transparent to you the operator. No switches, no idiot lights. If your truck sits outside all night at 5. it is still going to take 5miles of driving to get your cab warmed up.

Exhaust Brake. Again, there is no switch, no idiot light, It is totally out of the drivers control other than you press the Tow/Haul button. EB works in Tow/Haul, Does not engage if you do not select T/H. I find the way Ford implemented the EB is different than what some folks think of. It does a good job of holding a speed down a grade. It does a lousy job of Stopping of slowing a truck. I can top Parleys Summit on I-80 slow the truck to 50 mph, set the cruise and never touch my brakes for the 20 miles of downhill grade while towing my 13,000 lbs of horses. But if I'm going 70 mph and want to slow down to 50 mph, It's not going to do that, I would need to touch my brake pedal. If you have expectations of coming down a hill and pressing a button and hearing the Braaaap Braaaap, You will be disappointed.

Last edited by Painted Horse; 01-20-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info guys!!! I will give dodge this. WHen my truck still have the g56 in it the exhaust brake would slow the truck down to almost a dead stop with using downshifting. CUmmins has always had decent luck using the turbo as a means to slow the truck down. Every engine still uses the turbo as some stage ofbraking. I am honestly pretty excited about the rapid cab heat. My dodge seriously will take 10mi to heat up cause of the 180" stat i have in it. So ford doesnt use the tank heater during koeo op? I just took a class on cm2350 ISX and they implement the us eof the heater as long as voltage doesnt drop below 12. I havent seen the blue jean color in person yet. I like how the king ranch model comes with two tone. The plat is solid color. Im not sure which one to go with. more inclined to do the plat thoough cause i like the inlays better. I do like the heated wheel option dodge had that too in 2010 and worksvery well. Now for another question. OFr nay of you ford techs is there anyway someone has a class or overview of the 6.7L??? Id love to view a ford factory class if someone has a dvd or youtube vid for it. I like to know how my engine works and where everything is. being able to know certain things would be great. Likei said not being a navstar engine anymore im outta the loop and i hate it.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
To answer a couple of your questions.

DEF tank holds a little over 5 gallons. On avg you will get about 1000 miles per gallon. That will vary depending on how much you tow and how cold of a climate you live. DEF freezes at 13. I think some guys spend the entire winter with their DEF frozen and never use any. It does have a heater that thaws the tank and the truck runs fine while the tank is frozen. If you do a short commute, it may never thaw because you didn't run the truck long enough. No big deal computer adjust for it.

Rapid Heat is just what you describe. A heater coil. Think 1500 watt hair dryer. It does help to get things starting to warm up. Especially getting the windshield defrosted. But it will not create a warm cab instantly. It is automatic. Turns on when ever the coolant is below 80 and the ambient air is below some preset temp. Turns off as soon as your coolant hits 100. totally transparent to you the operator. No switches, no idiot lights. If your truck sits outside all night at 5. it is still going to take 5miles of driving to get your cab warmed up.

Exhaust Brake. Again, there is no switch, no idiot light, It is totally out of the drivers control other than you press the Tow/Haul button. EB works in Tow/Haul, Does not engage if you do not select T/H. I find the way Ford implemented the EB is different than what some folks think of. It does a good job of holding a speed down a grade. It does a lousy job of Stopping of slowing a truck. I can top Parleys Summit on I-80 slow the truck to 50 mph, set the cruise and never touch my brakes for the 20 miles of downhill grade while towing my 13,000 lbs of horses. But if I'm going 70 mph and want to slow down to 50 mph, It's not going to do that, I would need to touch my brake pedal. If you have expectations of coming down a hill and pressing a button and hearing the Braaaap Braaaap, You will be disappointed.
U seem really knowledgable. Do u work for FMC?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.