Where to put a CB with console - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to put a CB with console

Just as the subject says, trying to figure out where to put a CB with a center console. Curious if anyone has any ideas. Pictures would be appreciated.

Was thinking inside the console. Anybody know if the sides of the console are double walled?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good luck. Ive been wanting to install my cobra for a while and have yet to find a good spot. Curious to see what u come up with.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

I mounted mine on the front of the center console. There is a small lip on the front of the console (at least in my 2001 there is) that I drilled two holes into and hard mounted the CB and it holds great. Its the perfect spot to adjust it if you are on the move. I will find a picture when I get home and post
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When I say center console, I mean the kind the stretches to the dash and has four cup holders.

I just saw a YouTube video of a guy that has his inside the console mounted to one side.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

I had trouble doing mine. the only thing I came up with was this.It works and really doesn't look too bad.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

O yea you guys are talking about in the new trucks. Good luck fellas I havent spent too much time in a new one but doesn't look like too many places
Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Going to measure the inside and see if it will for in the arm rest on the side.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryw1 View Post
I had trouble doing mine. the only thing I came up with was this.It works and really doesn't look too bad.

Looks good, how did you run the antenna wire? Curious what happens if they have to lift the cab for engine work. Hopefully they don't just start cutting wires.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorDiesel View Post
Looks good, how did you run the antenna wire? Curious what happens if they have to lift the cab for engine work. Hopefully they don't just start cutting wires.

I mounted the Ant on the side of my tool box.
then I ran the coax through thr rubber oval on the frt panel of the bed.Under the cab along the frame up by the steering column and into the cab at the main harness boot (fire wall) to the left of the brake pedal.
note: I spray the boot with silicone spray and pop it out of the firewall hole. this allows me to run all my wires, every time I add an electrical do-dad I end up pulling the boot. fish the wire or coax then spray and reinstall the boot. Very easy!!!

All the wires and coax going to the cb are run through a hole in the center console (I drilled) then when I installed the coax onto the back of the radio I had to drill another hole for the coax connector at the back of the radio to drop down into. Yes I know one more hole than I wanted. but with the radio in. it all looks clean.

Oh Yeah! the sound is great! in fact the wife asks me to turn it down somtimes. "LOL"

Last edited by Larryw1; 01-17-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Smile CB radio/Amateur Radio

I my case I placed a VHF/UHF dual band radio in the same pocket as the CB is in. I ran my dual power (pos and neg) lines through the firewall grommet that is right under the drivers foot. My antenna is a 60" Diamond mounted to my rail running my antenna wire along the frame rail to the same grommet point and to the radio. I ran the wires and then soldered the connectors onto the antenna and power wires. I put split wrap on all the wires. I had to cut a hole into the inside of my bed to be able to hook up my antenna. The rail is hollow all the way to the bottom of the bed so you can run wires without cutting another hole in the bed. I am in the process of installing a Kenwood HF radio and have mounted the antenna mount that will hold a Lil' tarheel HF/6m antenna. That requires both signal and power to the antenna since it is a screwdriver. The power for the Kenwood requires a much larger power source so I will run a 6g wire through the firewall on the passenger side connected to a powerblock which will provide power to the kenwood and my antenna actuator. I will mount the radio in the accessory tray under the rear seat and connect my operating head and microphone from the dash. Fortunately the connection is all digital and only requires a R47 phone plug. I'll send picts when I get it done.

The biggest problem in transmitting a signal into an antenna that operate SSB or full AM like in a CB, is imperative that you have a good ground for the antenna, not just a ground but a ground plane. A ground plane actually radiates the signal up into the air but the plane has to be seen by the antenna. The best position for a HF antenna, which is what CB's are, is to connect the shortest braided strap you can get away with from the antenna mount to a point that has had the paint removed on your trucks bed. When I was into CB I had a peaked and tuned Cobra 40ch/ssb that put out 35watts into a Wilson 5000 mounted on my F150's roof and I was able to talk to ssb signals all the way to the east cost and down into South America. That is why I got into ham radio since the range is so much greater. SSB/CB's is a much quieter way of conversing, but the person on the other end has to have a SSB receiver as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.