Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I think I regret tuning..

6K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  travisH3 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my 1st post, but I've been reading the forums for quite some time researching tuners and deleting. I have a 2012 250 6.7 and been tuned/deleted for a little over a week or so now and I can't believe I think I regret doing it. I have a Mini Maxx, Flo Pro Delete, Intake and EGR blocker plates.

A few things..

Damage: I'm so freaked out about something major happening, having to return to stock and go back to dealer to try to get warranty work done. However, I know you have to pay to play and I've got no problem paying up, but I still cant help but be a little nervous. Does this go away?

Sound: I LOVED how quite these 6.7's were stock at idle and driving. I did a ton of reading and listening to sound clips and thought the best thing would be just a delete pipe. I did that and while it is close to original stock sound at idle, it is still noticeably louder and I also have a slight drone somewhere around 40 MPH.

Smell: I had my truck stock for a while and got used to (or didn't realize) the fact that idling or when I shut the truck off, it didn't smell like a diesel. Obviously now it smells like a diesel, which I should have realized was going to happen when I deleted. Is there any way to stop this other than putting the DPF back on? Which brings me to the 3rd part..

Turbo: The turbo sound is AWESOME! But, I know that if I put my DPF back on (to resolve the smell) that goes bye bye..

Don't get me wrong, the tuned/deleted truck is freakin AWESOME, but I don't know that I can live with the smell or louder exhaust, which I knew I was getting into by deleting. Stock these things are still powerful and very quiet, but what all the emissions stuff is doing to the motors scares me too.

Any suggestions or words or wisdom??

Thank you in advance. This is a very informative forums and I have enjoyed reading the posts.

Tim

See less See more
#3 ·
One word of advice, the engineers designed it to have all the emissions junk so I wouldn't worry about it hurting anything. And if you're skeert about damage I would put the stock stuff on until warranty is done (the main reason I own a 7.3)

#5 ·
i'd get the donaldson muffler and leave it aftermarket

#10 ·
My absolute favorite part of owning diesel trucks is the smell and noise/sound!:)

I am not deleting my '13 6.7L only due to the fact that that H&S has not yet and may not come out with delete tuning...:eek:hnoes:

#11 · (Edited)
Tune

+1 on the noise and smell of the diesel. I have no good reason for owning a diesel, or truck for that matter, but I always thought they had a "cool" factor. I used to help my grandfather out a lot on the weekends and he had a 7.3 f350 w a manual transmission-it worked your left leg hard but I knew I wanted one. My first one was a 6.0 and then I went with a duramax which was much quieter- for a little while. The new 6.7 is the perfect truck outside of being too quiet and the straight front axle. The perfect truck for me would be the 6.7's creature comforts w the sound of the 7.3 or 6.0.
Good luck and no need to look back now.

#14 ·
My only concern about having my truck deleted is being a couple hundred plus miles from the house and it taking a dump on me. Your pretty screwed in that situation given that you can't put the truck back to stock and Ford won't be able to read your computer since it has been reprogrammed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

#16 ·
I definitely know where you are coming from on smell & noise. "MY" truck is a 2000 Dodge Dually, 5" exhaust, chipped with injectors. I don't even like being outside of the truck in the morning when it is warming up. I use the exhaust brake to help warm the engine, between the noise & smell I have learned to love my wife's truck. I still love the raw power and noise of my Dodge, but for day to day driving I absolutely love her Ford.

#20 ·
When my truck went down I just had a buddy tow me home. Returned to stock and called for ford road side at the house after returning to stock. U could always buy a 6.0 catalytic converter and weld it into your delete pipe. That will cut down on smell and sound for ya. Just an idea, and u can get them very cheap if you search around.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
I felt the same way right after I deleted.

It's now months later and I wouldn't go back.

#23 ·
i felt the exact same way days after i did tuning and deleting on my '12 6.7. now its been a month or so and i have got use to all the differences and i would never go back. truck runs awesome and i have put 2k miles on it since mods. im close to 13k miles total. i was nervous about driving customers around with the noice level and smell but all i have got so far are a bunch of compliments. i dont mind the smell and love the sound now. i was a little unsure right at first just because it was so "clean" running stock. mine is straight piped.

#26 ·
If you don't like noise and smells then why by a diesel??? What's the point???
Grow a pair and enjoy your truck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.