Warranty Voids? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty Voids?

hey guys, was just wondering what happens if a person was to put exhaust, tuner, and probably intake also to the warranty. it has a 100,000 mile warranty on it and we just bought it before new years so it only has like 200 miles. Should a person just wait till warranty is up? or is the vehicle still mainly covered?
Thanks for any advice ya can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Too close to snookie
Posts: 3,307
Thanks: 20
Thanked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As soon as you tune/delete that truck, the warranty is voided. Either stick it out for the 100k or just hope you don't need any warranty work.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,320
Thanks: 5
Thanked 84 Times in 79 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When you tune and delete one then yes, it is possible that they will void your warranty. My opinion is that if you tune and delete, just keep all the stock components and if you have a warranty issue that pertains to engine/transmission, return it to stock before taking it in. If you have an issue with something electrical, cosmetic, door seals, etc., that stuff is definitely not related to tuning or deleting. When I worked at a dealership, it use to be that it had to be proven that the after market parts were the direct cause of failure to be able to deny warranty. That was before the 6.4's and 6.7's came out so I'm not sure how much more strict they have become. If you're worried about warranty issues at all, leave it stock and when warranty runs out, do exactly what you want to the truck. That being said, regardless whether you tune it now or later, I would buy the tuner and stuff now before they are no longer available thanks to the EPA. They have already suspended sales of those tuners, so no new ones with DPF delete options are being made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Too close to snookie
Posts: 3,307
Thanks: 20
Thanked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
When you tune and delete one then yes, it is possible that they will void your warranty. My opinion is that if you tune and delete, just keep all the stock components and if you have a warranty issue that pertains to engine/transmission, return it to stock before taking it in. If you have an issue with something electrical, cosmetic, door seals, etc., that stuff is definitely not related to tuning or deleting. When I worked at a dealership, it use to be that it had to be proven that the after market parts were the direct cause of failure to be able to deny warranty. That was before the 6.4's and 6.7's came out so I'm not sure how much more strict they have become. If you're worried about warranty issues at all, leave it stock and when warranty runs out, do exactly what you want to the truck. That being said, regardless whether you tune it now or later, I would buy the tuner and stuff now before they are no longer available thanks to the EPA. They have already suspended sales of those tuners, so no new ones with DPF delete options are being made
In today's world with the new engines, it is very hard to get warranty work done on your engine with a tune/delete. They don't really care anymore if it could've caused the part that failed to fail, they just care that you have the mods on there. All dealerships are different though so if yours is mod friendly, go for it.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,234
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i agree with what was said about the fact that if you have a concern of warranty getting denied then you answered your own question , dont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 122
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
i agree with what was said about the fact that if you have a concern of warranty getting denied then you answered your own question , dont
Agreed. If you have to ask about the warranty you shouldn't tune it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not to mention, it may become very difficult with the increased EPA presence. This truck puts more hp/tq to the ground than my 06 cummins produced at the flywheel. No reason for me to tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
Not to mention, it may become very difficult with the increased EPA presence. This truck puts more hp/tq to the ground than my 06 cummins produced at the flywheel. No reason for me to tune.
...exactly!

This is why I will probably keep my 2013 stock even if they do release delete tunes for it...which most likely will not happen due to the EPA crackdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you really want to know about the warranty void, do some homework on the case Ford went all the way to the Supreme Court with a few years ago. Ford lost because they were voiding warranties based solely on the fact that modifications had been done. I am not claiming to be an expert on the case, but I remember reading it a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bville
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Go to your dealer and talk to a tech. A lot of times they will tell u what they would or would not do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
exhaust, intake, tuner, warranty

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors