iPhone vs. Android - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
iPhone vs. Android

Greetings, currently my Samsung phone has been working flawlessly with the bluetooth sync in my truck. My daughter is planning to put me on her cell phone plan after the first of the year and give me a new iPhone 4S. I just read where the iPhone has been having trouble with the sync bluetooth in our new trucks. Anyone here use an iPhone with their ride and how has the connection been? If it truely is having trouble, my daughter said she woud just get me another Android phone. I was thinking if there is a problem, could it be that the sync is supported by Microsoft.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsals View Post
Greetings, currently my Samsung phone has been working flawlessly with the bluetooth sync in my truck. My daughter is planning to put me on her cell phone plan after the first of the year and give me a new iPhone 4S. I just read where the iPhone has been having trouble with the sync bluetooth in our new trucks. Anyone here use an iPhone with their ride and how has the connection been? If it truely is having trouble, my daughter said she woud just get me another Android phone. I was thinking if there is a problem, could it be that the sync is supported by Microsoft.

Thanks
Yes, I have a Iphone 4s. It does work but it has its limitations. Actually, my wife has the same Iphone and between my Super Duty, F-150 (traded), and my wife's Edge we have to unplug the usb and reconnect a couple of times to get the music to play. Phone calls do not seem to be a problem usually with the exception of no reading text messages. Phonebook downloaded successfully and handsfree button on wheel works to make a call from phonebook via sync "lady". Siri also works but you have to use the Iphone button as normal. If you have your USB cable connected you have to use the sync usb aux setting on the radio, the bluetooth will not work. If you are NOT connected via the cable, then the bluetooth audio works very well, and can be controlled by the sync system. Sorry to ramble on just trying to cover what I know. The phone also takes a slow charge from the USB
Old 12-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I came from the android side and someone talked me into the iPhone 5 and I don't like it at all. Most of the problems are sprint though. I don't have it hooked to my sync though so can't help you much there. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No problems at all with my iPhone 5 and sync.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 AM

I had more trouble with my android connecting to sync, than my iPhone.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:12 AM

We have 3 iPhone 5s in our house, and two iPads (1 and 2)...all work with Sync just fine. My only problem is my bluetooth microphone in the truck seems to not work on phone calls very well...haven't taken it in yet.

But as far as Sync is concerned, with playing music and synchronizing contacts & recent call lists, etc. it works great with all of our devices. As someone else pointed out, the USB does not charge anything at a normal pace. If you need your device charged quickly, use the bluetooth for playing music and plug your device into a normal power outlet charger...we rarely connect via the USB anyway...the bluetooth works too well to deal with cords!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 AM

I had a iPhone 4 and now the iPhone 5, my wife has the 4s and all work great in the truck. I do wish it would read text. But that is just a limitation of the system.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the great replies guys.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My iphone 5 connects via bluetooth every time I'm in the truck. If for some reason I can't get it to play, I just hit the voice button and say bluetooth audio. I normally stream Pandora or have movie audio through the stereo via bluetooth. I set my phone up as the primary.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsals View Post

Thanks
I have a 5, my wife a 4S and I had an Incredible. Of all three, the iPhone's work excellent, the Incredible, not so good. As you know, or soon will find out, you can have five phones connected but only one will ring. For your information, Sync is not a bad system, but it could be much better. In a recent CR report, the most non-mechanical complaint from Ford customers is the Microsoft Sync system because of its complexity. The other complaint is the cost of using the Sirius system for entertainment, it can be up to $15 a month for, what I call, marginal service. I think that any phone will work, except you will not be able to read text messages on your screen even though Sync states you can. The Sync interface for music that might be on your phone is abysmal. I use a stereo plug into my phone and use my phone's interface to play songs. That usually means that you have to use an additional charging cord to charge your phone/iPod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.