Looking for Insight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for Insight

Before I go waltzing in to the dealer with this, thought I would ask for some of the experience here. I have a 2012 F250 FX4 and for the first 2543 miles it was awesome. I could easily get 18 mpg average (lots of 19 and change if I was on the freeway and unloaded - that's calculated and on the computer) with power out the wazoo. Then it's like someone flipped a switch. All at the same time I got:
Mileage of 16 - 17 mpg IF I was very nice to it
NO real get up and go (passing a car and asking the truck to go from 50 to 80 used to be a non-event. Snap your head back. Now I put in reservations.
A noticeable ticking/clicking when the truck idles after it warms up
A lot of different noises after the truck is warm and I shut down.

I should also note that the boost says I am still getting 10 to 20 depending on how hard I push the pedal but my butt says it's not really there.

Anyone have a similar experience and know what was done to correct it? Not new to mechanical stuff but am new to diesel so I don't want to show up TOTALLY ignorant when I take it in.

Thanks ahead of time.

Geek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not sure what part of the country you're in, but winter blend fuel can have a negative effect on both fuel economy and performance.

Have you drained your fuel bowl?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Insight

Yup. Fuel bowl has been drained. Good to know about the difference in diesel for winter. Knew we did it with gas but didn't know diesel. I did mention I am new to this right? I have been using Optilube as a cetane booster and such. Looked at the instructions and they indicate a higher mixture if it gets below 32 (0C). Being in SOCAL it doesn't get that cold but I did fill up again today and picked a mixture between "normal" and cold to see if it would help.

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.