6.7 vs. Ecoboost towing MPG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 vs. Ecoboost towing MPG

Just figured I would give you guys a heads up on the MPG of the Ecoboost vs the 6.7. I just traded in my F-150 ecoboost for my 6.7. I bought the F-150 back in July because at the time there were not too many rebates or incentives going on with the Super Dutys so I tried the F-150 instead. I own a small tree service and the 150 was a little light for some of the things we tow. Anyways, I compared the MPG with the same trailer set up between the two trucks. Right now I am averaging 6 mpg more with the 6.7. Average mileage with the ecoboost was about 12 mpg and a solid 18 with the diesel. Plenty of power with the ecoboost (nice truck) but the mileage dropped HUGE when towing. Ecoboost easily seen 25 mpg on the highway (easy on the pedal). However when towing our fishing boat the mileage dropped to around 12 to 14. Anyways, just figured I would share that info with you all and I could not be happier with my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 AM
Don't you worry about it

yea a buddy of mine has an ecoboost and he said it's great running around empty but as soon as you hook something to it it's GONE mpg wise.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 AM

For sure. I was lucky, the F-250 I bought 2 weeks ago was the exact same truck I wanted back in July. At the time it was way out of my price range. I never thought there would be such a huge towing mpg difference but it is huge.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm calling bs on all of those numbers, hand calculate your mpg don't go off th screen. Your not getting 18 pulling anything with your superduty, and unless you are driving downhill all the way your not getting 25 out of the ecoboost. Sorry for the blunt post.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
I'm calling bs on all of those numbers, hand calculate your mpg don't go off th screen. Your not getting 18 pulling anything with your superduty, and unless you are driving downhill all the way your not getting 25 out of he ecoboost. Sorry for the blunt post.
Always hand calculated mileage with the Ecoboost. Not had a chance yet with the Super duty. And it is far from BS. With the cruise set at 62 mph (mostly flat road) not towing, I was once in the 27s with the ecoboost hand calculated. That was from Illinois to Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin. First of all I would not BS you guys, second of all I am a business owner and mileage means everything to me. Perhaps the trip computer is wrong on the Super Duty but I dont understand how you can say it is BS with the Ecoboost if they are highway rated at 21-22 mpg and that is a median average. And I suppose you have owned both as well? The load being towed is about a 3500 lb stump grinder plus trailer (another 1200 or so). I hope 18 is not too much to ask for seeing the engine is about a $8000.00 option. Sorry for the blunt reply but I do stand firm on the Ecoboost mileage, you may be correct on the 6.7.

Last edited by Grif054; 12-16-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Subscribed, this should get interesting.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Ok....I'll not debate the ecoboost, I'll just say you shouldnt have sold it. If the f150 was light for the load you were pulling it was deffinatly more than the load stated above. What are the f150 ecoboosts rated at 8-10? If you were upset with 12 from the ecoboost get ready to be upset with your f250. You might squeak 13-13.5 pulling that load on the highway, never in the city. Good luck with your truck though, I'm glad your excited about it.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 AM

I didn't want to do this, but here it goes............I love my Diesel(s), point blank. However, I no longer need a diesel. With that said, I'm not ready to get ride of my truck yet, but when I do, I'm buying an EcoBoost.

Why? Simple, most of my driving is unloaded these days and when I tow, it is just some snowmobiles and ATV's. The Eco can satisfy my towing needs. As for the fuel economy, yes the Eco gets better fuel economy around town and when running empty. For the towing I do (The Eco is impresvie too), I can live with poor fuel economy on those occasions. In the long run, the Eco would be better for me.

I'm a turbo junkie, and that is the main reson I have fallen in love with the Ecoboost! With that said, I also like the 600 HP my 6.4 is thowing down...LOL
Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 AM

I seriously looked at the ecoboost, when I bought my truck. Every one I looked at and all the reviews said 14-15 in town 18-20 highway. I went ahead and bought the diesel since we are looking at getting a tt. Unless one is pulling extremely heavy, a diesel isn't justified. I just wanted one, could stand to go back to a gas engine at this point. People need to be realistic though. A gas rig or diesel pulling 5-10k are going to get pretty similar mileage, the difference will be in the pulling power. Over that weight a diesel has a significant advantage.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 AM

I was looking at f150s the other day while my oil was getting changed. I could be wrong but the Eco boost mpg ratings for city and highway I saw on the window were 1mpg better then the 5.0 v8. Didn't seem worth the added cost of the Eco boost engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.