Questions regarding urea exhaust fluid? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions regarding urea exhaust fluid?

Used the search but didn't find what I'm looking for.

Urea.....the guy at the parts counter said it's made from animal urine but didn't know which animal. Anybody know? And if it is animal urine....kind of begs the question....."how the hell do they get it?"

How much does an F-250 hold?

At about 3500 miles the light came on in the instrument cluster telling me that I had 500 miles left until I was empty of exhaust fluid. I bought a 2 1/2 gal. jug and put it all in. The dealership service guys didn't know how much it's supposed to hold, but the light went out.

Yesterday, at 6,300 miles the same warning came on again. I put another 2 1/2 gal. jug of urea in. Continued on my trip, pulling my 5th wheel. The warning light went out and we drove approx. another 100 miles before we stopped for the evening. Drove another 40 miles today, stopping several times.

After being stopped for several hours in San Francisco today, fired the truck up to come back to the RV park and the same warning has came on again.

Anybody got any ideas what's going on? Sound like anything you've experienced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
Used the search but didn't find what I'm looking for.

Urea.....the guy at the parts counter said it's made from animal urine but didn't know which animal. Anybody know? And if it is animal urine....kind of begs the question....."how the hell do they get it?"

How much does an F-250 hold?

At about 3500 miles the light came on in the instrument cluster telling me that I had 500 miles left until I was empty of exhaust fluid. I bought a 2 1/2 gal. jug and put it all in. The dealership service guys didn't know how much it's supposed to hold, but the light went out.

Yesterday, at 6,300 miles the same warning came on again. I put another 2 1/2 gal. jug of urea in. Continued on my trip, pulling my 5th wheel. The warning light went out and we drove approx. another 100 miles before we stopped for the evening. Drove another 40 miles today, stopping several times.

After being stopped for several hours in San Francisco today, fired the truck up to come back to the RV park and the same warning has came on again.

Anybody got any ideas what's going on? Sound like anything you've experienced?
The DEF tanks are 5 gallons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 PM

The tanks hold 5 gal. And if you are towing it doesn't last as long as if you were driving lite. I towed a trailer (8000 pounds) from SoCal to Georgia When I left I filled the DEF, the message came on that I had 500 miles to go when I got to Georgia (2380 miles). I filled DEF again and when I got back to Socal (lite, not towing) it said I was under 1/2 but didn't show 500 miles to go. But I did refill it when I got back to SoCal and it did take 2 1/2 gal.
Some of the guys here that own new trucks say they refill theirs at every oil change (5000 miles), but they don't tow like I do.
Urea is urine, but if you google it you will se that it can be made in a lab, doesn't have to come from a animal.
Naturally, the chemical compound is not only produced by humans but also by many other mammals, as well as amphibians and some fish. Discovered in 1773 by the French chemist Hillaire Rouelle, urea became the first organic compound to be synthetically formulated. German chemist Friedrich Wöhler, one of the pioneers of organic chemistry, invented the process to create the synthetic version of the compound in 1828, just 55 years after its discovery.

Last edited by skipper h; 12-08-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Skipper, how do you know it's down just half way? If it tells you that someplace, I haven't found it......I only see the 500 mile warning.

Does the truck tell you when the service is due (like my cars do)? I've got 6,300 miles on it and I thought I remembered reading that the first service was due at 7,500 miles?

Mine is a 2012 with a 6.7L diesel.

Between this new 5th wheel, new truck and new car.....I can't keep up with all the reading. Does it all come in audio library?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 AM

You can view it on the lcd screen in the dash under the system settings it has it there, just look under the def fluid section it will say under half full. Thats when I fil it up.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 AM

I just urinate in my DEF tank at every refueling. This keeps it full and I don't have to worry about going to the parts store for another jug of overpriced piss.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Does it take a 6pack or 18 pack to get the right ratio of water to urea?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM

18 pack or else it will be diluted. Cant wait to take off all the emission stuff after christmas.lol
Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM

JCZ, if you watch this it may help you
Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM

I want some of those awesome gloves that guy has in the video!!! Lmfao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.