Almost traded. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Almost traded.

I came thissss close to trading my 2009 on a new 6.7. I test drove 2 of them and just couldn't see trading a truck that has been (knock on wood) solid since I bought it. I talked myself out of trading a truck I love for one with less power and a nice console. I still like the 6.7's but I hear they are changing in 2014 early so I'll just have to see then. Good luck guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Keep ur 6.4L...still International engine, made in USA...new engine made in Mexico...

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM

As fickle as all these new trucks are if you get a good one you are better off keeping it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Smith View Post
I came thissss close to trading my 2009 on a new 6.7. I test drove 2 of them and just couldn't see trading a truck that has been (knock on wood) solid since I bought it. I talked myself out of trading a truck I love for one with less power and a nice console. I still like the 6.7's but I hear they are changing in 2014 early so I'll just have to see then. Good luck guys.
With all of the major changes coming from GM and Dodge, 2014 should be a good year to gamble on a susbtantial update. Hopefully we'll see Ford fix some problems with the engine.

Did you guys see the half ton Ram with the active air ride and incredible fuel mileage?
GM will be debuting a new 1500 that claims to save almost 800 lbs? You know what that's going to do for MPG.
The new Ram Heavy sports a major interior update?
Everyone is raising the bar right now.
Ford still has the same look of 1999, but with a fragile engine?

Something's got to give, and soon.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM

This is a funny thread.
I answered a survey for Ford where several questions were around weight savings, active suspension, etc. So, they must be considering those things. But, I didn't list active suspension as a priority for me. Crikey...these things already are $60K. They'll be 80K when they add more to them! LOL.
George...with all due respect (and I think you have one heck of a truck), I question your "Fragile" comments. I mean, at this time of year I'm thinking of the lamp in the Christmas Story LOL! I don't think there's anything fragile about a truck that weighs 8000# and can tow 16,000#. I realize you may be talking about rods....but fragile just doesn't seem like the way I'd explain it. Not trying to start anything...but to come into a 6.7 forum and start calling them fragile...maybe not the best word...considering a lot of owners on here know these are some awesome machines (granted...not cranking the hp and torque you are)....but the 6 speed...the interiors...the stock power....all are impressive to me at least.
There's always that tug to wait and see....of course...in 2014...they may derate these things to further reduce emissions or other crazy things the next 4 years will bring (reference EPA and tuners right now). Who knows...I always question at what point does HP start dropping? I mean....there were some seriously powerful vehicles in the 60s and then that started to go away with regulation and fuel issues. So, it's a gamble to buy now (maybe something will be better) and it's a gamble to wait (regs may knock us back with HP and torque). Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Emergency Services

Keep the 6.4 I like the way the look...it's the same truck basically with a heafty payment behind it
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't count on an engine change in 2014 maybe other things but not an engine that has seen very little problems compared to its predecessors. The 6.7 that is not mod friendly is the least of Fords problems right now. Just my .02
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucpa111 View Post
This is a funny thread.
I answered a survey for Ford where several questions were around weight savings, active suspension, etc. So, they must be considering those things. But, I didn't list active suspension as a priority for me. Crikey...these things already are $60K. They'll be 80K when they add more to them! LOL.
George...with all due respect (and I think you have one heck of a truck), I question your "Fragile" comments. I mean, at this time of year I'm thinking of the lamp in the Christmas Story LOL! I don't think there's anything fragile about a truck that weighs 8000# and can tow 16,000#. I realize you may be talking about rods....but fragile just doesn't seem like the way I'd explain it. Not trying to start anything...but to come into a 6.7 forum and start calling them fragile...maybe not the best word...considering a lot of owners on here know these are some awesome machines (granted...not cranking the hp and torque you are)....but the 6 speed...the interiors...the stock power....all are impressive to me at least.
There's always that tug to wait and see....of course...in 2014...they may derate these things to further reduce emissions or other crazy things the next 4 years will bring (reference EPA and tuners right now). Who knows...I always question at what point does HP start dropping? I mean.....
Fragile is unfortunately the correct word.
More boost, broken rods.. Fragile... You have yo handle this first generation 6.7L with care..
I do believe this will change very soon, and the 6.7L will develop into a much stronger engine as Ford sees the need to remove some of it's own engineered weak links to handle the power needs as the market evolves, and it's evolving right now with the new Cummins upping the numbers, and the new DMax sure to at least match Ram.. 2014? I don't know..
Trust me, I want a brand new truck today. My truck is going to be 6 years old. I love the 6.4L and all of that good power, I think it's going down as the greatest PSD ever, but I was ready for a new rig in 11'. Nobody is pulling for a 6.7L update more than me. The 6.7L weak spots were surely a bean counter call to cut down on bogus owner inflicted warranty claims. I think they just called the "fuse or weak link" specs way too close to the edge. With more power, they have to increase their "fuse" size.

Yes, there is always the pull of the wait and see, but as the competition ramps up power and offers new and exciting options like active air, Ford is forced to follow the famous words of Lee Iacocca, "lead, follow or get out of the way".
So expect Ford to either lead, follow or get out of the way. I expect them to at least, "follow".

Quote:
There were some seriously powerful vehicles in the 60s and then that started to go away with regulation and fuel issues. So, it's a gamble to buy now (maybe something will be better) and it's a gamble to wait (regs may knock us back with HP and torque). Good luck in your decision]
I think we can all agree that the performance "golden era" is right now. After looking at his Mustang, I definitely think Pumped 101 will agree. Look at the power, speed and handling of some of the great American sports cars on your local dealership floors that you can drive out of the door today.
The Shelby Mustang, the Callaway Camaro, all street legal and all have off the charts power.

Last edited by George C; 12-01-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Read up on the EPA politics, could be more disapointments coming
Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Fragile huh????? I seriously doubt the 6.7 is keeping the techs as busy as the 6.4, and definitely the 6.0 have. I too had a KEM tuned 6.4 running the 345 tune, and it was by far the biggest beast i have ever owned. I know i will never see that out of my 6.7, but I'm happy with its performance deleted and H&S tuned. You and some others on here are putting way too much into the whole issue about the connecting rods being to small. Where do you think Chevy will get rid of some that 800 lb you referenced? I'll bet some of it will come from the motor as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.