DIC fuel data inaccuracies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Port Aransas / DFW
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIC fuel data inaccuracies

Miles to empty and gallons consumed per the DIC are really inaccurate. The other day I had this scenario:

20 miles to empty
20.1 gallons consumed
AVG 15.2 mpg
Fuel gauge read more than 1/8 of a tank remaining

The truck took 22.2 gallons of diesel to fill it. Basically, the DIC is telling me I'm about to run empty--when I really have almost four gallons remaining. Add to that, the DIC claims that only 20.1 gallons were consumed. The only thing accurate is the fuel gauge. Anyone else having these inaccuracies, and can this be reset to be a little more reliable? As it is right now, the information off of the DIC is pretty useless. Please let me know if you uave any insights. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 2,475
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesman View Post
Miles to empty and gallons consumed per the DIC are really inaccurate. The other day I had this scenario:

20 miles to empty
20.1 gallons consumed
AVG 15.2 mpg
Fuel gauge read more than 1/8 of a tank remaining

The truck took 22.2 gallons of diesel to fill it. Basically, the DIC is telling me I'm about to run empty--when I really have almost four gallons remaining. Add to that, the DIC claims that only 20.1 gallons were consumed. The only thing accurate is the fuel gauge. Anyone else having these inaccuracies, and can this be reset to be a little more reliable? As it is right now, the information off of the DIC is pretty useless. Please let me know if you uave any insights. Thanks.
25-22.2=2.8 gallons, not almost four gallons. So really your DIC is off about 2.8-1.3= 1.5 gallons. Maybe its a reserve?

I have noticed the DIC is off about 1 gallon in my truck per fillup. But my fillups are 30+ gallons. This in turn makes my MPG average off by a little, but not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 142
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is a 26 gallon tank. So his 3.8 is close to 4 gallons.

Mine will off 0.5 to 1 gallon at each fill up. 2 gallons off seems a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Port Aransas / DFW
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wonder if my 35" tires could have an impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 2,475
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldawg2010 View Post
It is a 26 gallon tank. So his 3.8 is close to 4 gallons.

Mine will off 0.5 to 1 gallon at each fill up. 2 gallons off seems a lot.
You'r right it is 26 gallons, wonder why everyone thinks they are 25 including myself. Still way to small IMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesman View Post
I wonder if my 35" tires could have an impact.
I don't see how it could have an impact on your gallons used. It will however give you a wrong average MPG, as you are actually going slightly further then it says.

You can go to the dealer, and have them correct your speedo for tires up to 34.8", this will also give you better average MPG readouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: victoria bc
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesman View Post
I wonder if my 35" tires could have an impact.


Hi, on a side note: how happy are you with your tires? I am looking at getting the toyo AT2 myself and was after peoples opinions.
My mileage seems accurate enough with regards to fill ups. I think that they program the fuel sensors to err on the side of caution. I've got a longbox and think the tank is 35 gallon [ as well as a 90 gallon transfer tank for long trips ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 142
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesman View Post
I wonder if my 35" tires could have an impact.
I am running 35" as well. Its close enough for me and way better than my 6.0l.

I think Ford's lawyers want some safe room in the calculation just so they are not liable for you running it dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 142
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[QUOTE=BIG Laing;3353909]You'r right it is 26 gallons, wonder why everyone thinks they are 25 including myself. Still way to small IMO!

Yeah I really wish I had got the 8' bed now. 35 gallon tank and I could close my tailgate with my Can-Am 650cc ATV in the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Port Aransas / DFW
Posts: 81
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
Hi, on a side note: how happy are you with your tires? I am looking at getting the toyo AT2 myself and was after peoples opinions.
My mileage seems accurate enough with regards to fill ups. I think that they program the fuel sensors to err on the side of caution. I've got a longbox and think the tank is 35 gallon [ as well as a 90 gallon transfer tank for long trips ]
Very happy with the tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's 37.5 gallon on the long bed and I have run mine empty and have first hand knowledge of that.

I find that my Fuel Used in the Trip-o-meter display is really accurate to what fuel I have used. It's rarely off by more than 1/2 gallon when I fuel up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors