Trade a 2006 6.0 for a 2012 6.7..?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trade a 2006 6.0 for a 2012 6.7..??

Just wondering about this at the moment; would I be trading one set of problems for another? I mean, I've done the EGR cooler delete, oil cooler's been replaced, HPOP replaced and upgraded - has not been studded and doesn't really seem to need that (knock on wood). I'm thinking it will need injectors down the road soon and really looking forward to plunking down $1600 for that. Whaddya all think...??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Keep it...

New DPF Restrictions from the EPA are getting stricter....

also, all new injectors from Jesse at Warren or Sheldon are only $500-$800.. That is for 155/stock nozzles which will improve your mileage and get a bit of more power too.
BETTER them OEM which cost $1600+++
Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just traded my 04 6.0 on a 12 drw cc lariet and this is the sweetest rig I have ever owned. This thing pulls like nothing is hooked up. Time will tell but I love the 6.7.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Only you can make the decision.
I traded in my 2006 6.0L at 108,000 miles because I don't like breeaking down and having to have somebody come get me. I just want a dependable truck. I would rather have a fixed planned payment than a surprise cost when a break down occurs.

Even if you have all the engine maladies fixed. HPOP, FCIM, EGR Coolers. You still start to run the risk of just normal wear & maintence on a 6 year old truck. Water pumps, alternators, belts, ball joints, brakes, etc. Not to even start on all the electronics like like power seats, power mirrors, clock springs, radio/CD player dying, AC units, vacuum pump.

Couple the maintenance cost/headaches with the new creature comforts available in the new models. ie built in back up camera, navigation, Cooled seats, USB and Bluetooth integration, power mirrors. Add in More power and better fuel ecconomy. There are lots of reason to buy a new truck

Only you know what your budget can afford. You must decide if you like working on your truck. Do you have the skills to trouble shoot and fix some of the future problems you are likely to have on your truck. Your current truck has seen most of it depreciation. So whether you sell it this winter or sell it 2 years from now, The added loss from depreciation will be very small. How much do you actually drive it and how important is it to you to be able to drive it daily.

Good luck on your decision. The only thing I miss from my 2006 is the KR leather seats. The new leather just is not in the same class.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM

I have a dependable 6.0

I don't need a huge truck payment LOL

they are very nice but still too new of a motor for Me this is why I bought a 6.0

the 6.4's were also to new when I was shopping
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Ummm...no...I don't think you're trading one set of problems for another. These new trucks are great. Sure, some people have issues....with all brands, makes, models. The 6.7 is a great engine. Drive one and see what you think. The 6 speed auto alone is many steps ahead of what you have.

Now, do you want a payment? Only you can answer that (or have the cash to buy outright). I wouldn't hesitate if the payment doesn't matter.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM

I have heard those 6.7's are bullet proof, all around great motors

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM

I traded in my 2006 6.0 for a new one. Havn't drove the new one much but I like what I've experianced so far.
I was thinking the same as PAINTED HORSE said. I had a trouble free 6.0 that I liked ,but it was going to need the normal stuff soon like ball joints,brakes,tires,etc. and I was worried about dumping that kind of money into it then have engine troubles because I was getting close to the 100,000 mile mark.
They gave me a good trade in offer when I was "just looking" and I came home with a new one because of it.
If you only use the truck for traveling or weekend work and you are able to do your own fixing then maybe just keep it. If not Maybe it's time to let it go. Yes,they havn'y been out long but I think they have already proved to be stronger and longer lasting then the 6.0.. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

I've been looking at a 2012 F350 XLT CC DRW at the local dealership - it's used with a little over 12,500 miles on it listing for $45,983. I am still paying on my 2006 so having payments is not the issue - having a dependable truck that I don't have to drop $1,000 into every other month is. I've also thought about trading it in on a 2012 or 2013 Chevy with a duramax (my brother works at GM and I can use his discount) and get rid of it altogether. Not that I'd want to - I love the truck; just don't like the high maintenance costs associated with the 6.0.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM

So far we just have not seen the maintenance problems on the 6.7L come anywhere near what the 6.0L have been experiencing. But we have not seen a lot of trucks go over the 100,000 mile threshold.

My 6.0L had the HPOP. FICM, Glow Plugs, Alternator, and Turbo all needing to be replaced right about 100,000 miles. And these seem to be real common repairs for most 6.0L plus a lot of EGR coolers ( which mine never did need). But below that 100k mileage number, it had been a pretty bullet proof engine for me. I remember replacing the Clock Spring in the steering wheel, brake pads and the speed sensor in the rear end all before the 100K number, But not big repairs and nothing I would consider a reason not to look at Ford.

I think if you bought that 2012 Dually, You'd probably be fine for the 100,000 miles. We just are not seeing recurring problems in trucks with that many miles. But we just don't know what to expect past that point. Not enough trucks have passed that milestone to give us a forecast of what is to come. My 2011 truck is at 75,000 miles and has been great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.