New Owner - Miles per tank shocker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Owner - Miles per tank shocker

After years of missing my 01 ccsd 7.3, I finally decided to trade in the 2011 F150 on a 2012 CCSD 6.7. I'm used to getting 550 miles per tank out of the 5.0 and when I got in my new truck at the dealership to drive off the lot (full tank) I was almost sick to see 340 something in the miles to empty screen. Granted the F150 had a 36 gallon tank and I guess I'm down to 26 or 27 in the superduty but holy cow what a difference. Guess I will be spending much more time on gas station lots. That said, man do I love this truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went with the 8' bed b/c I wanted the larger tank. I am glad I did, b/c it's really nice to have the ability to push 650+ miles over the road, and also have the 8' bed for hauling things. It's a beast.

You can upgrade tanks with a Titan or comparable aftermarket. 50 gallons!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't realize the 8 foot bed had larger tank until I got home and started researching how many miles per tank people were getting. No 50 gallon tank for me, I'm too busy to be sitting at the gas station for 2 hours waiting on it to fill up.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM

It takes 4 minutes to fill My titan 50 gallon mid ship replacement Tank in my chort bed

check em out

you spend more wasted time looking for a station and filling up more often but lesser fuel than you do pumping for a longer time less often

and cut the I can't find a diesel station pucker factor in Half
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That sounds about right, however when I run it down to 30 miles to E it will only take 20 gallons. True, it has a walnut bladder, but at least the mileage is good.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead393 View Post
After years of missing my 01 ccsd 7.3, I finally decided to trade in the 2011 F150 on a 2012 CCSD 6.7. I'm used to getting 550 miles per tank out of the 5.0 and when I got in my new truck at the dealership to drive off the lot (full tank) I was almost sick to see 340 something in the miles to empty screen. Granted the F150 had a 36 gallon tank and I guess I'm down to 26 or 27 in the superduty but holy cow what a difference. Guess I will be spending much more time on gas station lots. That said, man do I love this truck!
I am guessing you are getting about 15 or 16mpg? Your miles to empty is calculated, by your avg MPG. I would imagine you could see 400+ if your were averaging around 18 or 19.

Depending on how I drive, I can see between 550 and 700 miles till empty. But then Again, putting 36 gallons in at a time is scary!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 AM

Titan 50gal tank, huge upgrade!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I can see FMC being a PITA about an aftermarket tank if fuel system damage occurs. I understand you could fight it and that they have to prove the tank caused the issue, but it would be time consuming and expensive.

Why wouldn't Ford make the tank bigger on the SWB trucks?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 AM

the Titan tank is the same material as OEM and the factory sender/pickup there is nothing to point at for a fuel system problem

Plus you would have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act behind you so the only Warranty issue you could have from Ford is they won't warranty the Titan tank itself
but titan has a 5yr

Last edited by ZMANN; 11-20-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone had the dealer install the Titan and cover the warranty? Wasn't there something about water leakage into the Titan tanks? If I get a SWB truck, I don't think there is a way around the fact that I'll need an aftermarket setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.