6.7 high idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 high idle

Just wondering if the 6.7s are supposed to have factory high idle when it gets below a certain temp outside? I thought they did, but mine has yet to go into high idle and it was 19 here this morning. If they do what temp does it have to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Ive been wondering the same thing, my 7.3 would go into high idle automatically when cold enough. Soon as i hit the brake pedal it shut off.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck hasn't done this in the 11 months I've had it and I always let it warm up during the cold months. I'm going to hook up my high idle when I go home next week for thanksgiving.

The truck comes with all the necessary wires, but you need to hook it up from what I understand.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 AM

Yeah my 7.3 was the same way. As far as the hooking up of it, do you need upfitter switches? i don't have those in mine. I can't believe the ecm doesn't automatically put it into high idle when its cold out. I would like to know their reasoning for not doing that.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Katies dads hasnt done it yet either
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The trucks do have a high idle. I don't know what temp it kicks in, But mine has done it many times. I spent several weeks in -25 temps last winter. So I got to see it a lot.

I have not seen that the high does a lot to warm the engine up. I have remote started my truck and let it idle for the 5 minutes or the 10 minutes ( depending on what setting I had it set to) and still see it showing coolant temps of 75-80. The next day put it in high idle for the same 5 minutes and it's only 2-3 warmer. The extra 300-400 rpm just doesn't do much to increase the temps.

I find if I start the truck, Let it idle for minute to get the lubricants flowing and drive off normal. It warms up much faster. In 5 minutes driving 30 mph, my coolant temps will be 107-115. Which is 30 warmer than just letting it sit and idle.

Before you go to the trouble of installing the High Idle mode. go out and start your truck on a cold morning and let it idle 5 minutes, See what the coolant temp is. Next day start the truck and hold the throttle at 1100 rpm and see how much warmer your coolant is after 5 minutes. There is very little differnce.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM

An update on my high idle. This tuesday for the first time it went into high idle right after it fired. There was no lag time like on a 7.3. It was instant 1100 rpm. I just wish my autostart stayed on longer than 10 minutes now.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
An update on my high idle. This tuesday for the first time it went into high idle right after it fired. There was no lag time like on a 7.3. It was instant 1100 rpm. I just wish my autostart stayed on longer than 10 minutes now.
There should be a setting to max it out at 15 min. Mine has intervals of 5 10 15. Look in the menu under settings and remote start.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Ahh... I will do that. This truck still has some surprises for me that i have yet to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.