Fueling overfill? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fueling overfill?

Anyone have any issues when they leave the pump on automatic? Every time the people at the gas station do it the thing overflows like an air bubble explosion and splashes all over the side of the truck. I scream a multitude of swears at them every time, then fly home and thoroughly wash the side until I can't smell fuel anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Diesel Addict

Send a message via MSN to CanuckF350
This is why I will never let some high school 's fill my truck anymore. I told a kid one time to watch it carefully. Of course he did not. Spilled all over the ground, not just a little either. Had a frickin lake under my truck. Guess who pays for the spilled fuel also. So I went in asked for the manager and told him about what I had ask the kid to do. The kid admitted that I told him to watch it closely. Manager gave me 15 free car washes to hopefully get me back as a customer again. (Wife got those because the truck won't fit in the car wash!) However I see signs at that Fuel station warning to not leave the Diesel pumps on auto fill. They are learning. Slowly, but they are learning.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Made In America

You have full serve gas stations there?! Lol sorry no never had that.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Emergency Services

You've never heard the term "Jersey girls don't pump gas?" LOL. Depends on the station here most don't want to make a mistake with diesel pumped into gas cars so a majority of diesel is self serve here. I think it's caused by the high flow automatic, which isn't necessary for a 26 gallon tank, I don't drive a tractor trailer. Whenever they pump it now I usually get out and just hold it manually. This never happened with my 6.0 so I guess the different tank design causes this too. My 6.0 used to stop and I could put an extra gallon or two in.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

Last edited by kirbybc12; 11-10-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Here in the states, Oregon and New Jersey, attendants are required to pump the fuel. Owners are not allowed to do it.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Made In America

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Here in the states, Oregon and New Jersey, attendants are required to pump the fuel. Owners are not allowed to do it.
Huh. Well I learned something today, thought that was a thing of the past.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Diesel Addict

Send a message via MSN to CanuckF350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
The key word there is 'attendant'! Not some flat billed thug life representative whose pants are around his bloody knees and his work ethic even lower.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I 've been surprised a couple of times when I've traveled to Oregon and jump out and start trying to fill my tank and have some kids come running over saying that I can't do that. Thought it was just a Oregon labor law to ensure HS drop outs a job.

In the areas that I frequent, a service attendant is a Long Forgotten thing of the past. Back when gas was 30 cents a gallon and you got a free collectors glass with a fill up.

I've never had any problems with the pumps shutting off when using the standard diesel pumps. The only ones that I've had to watch are the high volumn pumps at the Semi truck island.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had mine overflow a couple of times but only when using the larger diameter high volume pumps like you would use to fuel a semi. When using the normal small diameter pump it never happens. I also set the pump on the lowest pump setting so that it doesn't pump so fast.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most stations in NJ won't deal with pumping diesel, and quite frankly I'm happy they wont.

Most of the time if you get an overflow, its from a high flow pump designed for a big rig, you'll find those at fuel stations near freeways or interstates and some local towns that experience high truck traffic.

My stock tank didn't overflow much and seemed to vent well, if I were you, I'd check out your vent/overflow line and see if it's not kinked somewhere and not allowing the tank to adequately vent while you are fueling.

With my titan 50 gallon tank I have noticed that the tank does back up with fuel foam and doesn't vent as well. I attributed this to the stretched vent lines and T fitting that Titan has you install. When I have time, and more then likely when it's warm outside, I'm going to buy a longer fuel grade hose and replace my vent line to see if that will help with this.

As a side note for those of you in NJ or Oregon, the law requires attendants to pump gasoline not diesel fuel. If they demand to pump your fuel explain the law to them or move on to another station if you're not comfortable with them pumping it. With that being said, I am the only person I trust to fuel up my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.