Questions about this F250 I'm looking at...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions about this F250 I'm looking at...?

Hey guys...

I've been looking for just the right F250 6.7L for quite a while. I plan to use it a daily driver (1,000 miles a month on mostly back roads and around town). It will also serve our family as tow vehicle (wakeboard boat) and road trip rig.

Here's my wish list:
  • 2011 CCSB
  • Lariat
  • Black on Black
  • Bench seat
  • Nav & Moonroof
  • Low $40's... up to $45K (my absolute max) if lifted.

It's really hard to find all this in a used truck.

So today I find this one at Watts Automotive in Utah. I've been to this place several times (I travel to Utah on business). I love the place cuz there's a lot of badass trucks to look at. But the prices seem high and some of the reviews I've read state that they don't negotiate much.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this truck. It has everything I'm looking for, except Nav & Moonroof.

2011 Used Ford Super Duty F-250 Lariat at Watts Automotive Serving Salt Lake City & Provo, IID 9583314

For those who'd rather not click, it's got 33k miles and they are asking $47,900 (some pics below).

A few specific questions:
  • Is this a good buy at $48K? If not, what do you think is a fair price give the miles and missing Nav/roof?
  • How hard is it to add Nav? Can I do the factory Nav so I can maintain use of steering wheel buttons, factory bluetooth, and Sync? Or is all this achievable with aftermarket Nav (in dash)?
  • Should I be worried about the fact that it appears to have been used as a 5th wheel hauler (see where tow hitch was mounted in the middle of the bed)? Does that combined with the high milage indicate the truck has been used hard? Is that a red flag?
  • Is Tuff Country a decent lift? I believe that is what Watts puts on these trucks.

Thanks for your help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think that the price is high if you look around the 13 are hitting the lots so a brand new 12 would have at least 10k off sticker and a truck outfitted like that would sticker for maybe in the mid 50's without all the add ons. A place like that throws a lift on a basic truck and puts wheels and tires on it to make it stand out. If you could get it for low 40's or high 30's it might be worth it. But I would shop around see what dealers have on the lot. If you can find out on the net what a lift like that would cost along with those wheels and tires. As far as the nav goes I have no idea.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:57 AM

I paid 46 for my 2011 lariat crew longbed 4x4 nav sunroof sticker was over 61k
Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Made In America

^ What they said plus,

Adding factory Nav will not be worth your while, the best option would be aftermarket, in which mosts brands now DO integrate steering wheel controls, you just have to look.

Perspective: I bought my 2012 CCSB XLT 8k miles, lifted with brand new 35's for 42k ... just sayin.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM

I agree, watts is always a little too proud of there trucks. I got My 2011 black on black with only 4500 miles on it for 46,500 It had stock wheels tho and the center console. I put a factory nav in it for 2600$, pricey I know but it looks better than aftermarket. You may be able to find a cheaper factory nav on ebay or something
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Made In America

If you can install it yourself aftermarket would be a much better option, you will be looking at 600-1000 for a nice one.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
I think that the price is high if you look around the 13 are hitting the lots so a brand new 12 would have at least 10k off sticker and a truck outfitted like that would sticker for maybe in the mid 50's without all the add ons. A place like that throws a lift on a basic truck and puts wheels and tires on it to make it stand out. If you could get it for low 40's or high 30's it might be worth it. But I would shop around see what dealers have on the lot. If you can find out on the net what a lift like that would cost along with those wheels and tires. As far as the nav goes I have no idea.
I agree that it feels high. And I have looked at getting a new, leftover '12, but here's the issues I'm running into?
  1. To get to $10K off usually the dealers have employed every possible rebate, e.g. military, recent college grad, former Ranger owner, etc. etc. The actual rebate a given customer gets is more like $3000 which, if you get take that off an invoice deal it's more like $8,500 off MSRP.
  2. Even if I managed to get a real $10K off deal (dealer would have to dip into holdback), I'm looking at $47.5K (msrp on a lightly equiped Lariat is $57.5K), and lift, wheels, or tires would be another $5K. I have a HARD budget of $45K.

This is why I've been shopping 2011 used trucks, hoping to snag one for low $40's so I can do the lift, wheels, and tires myself. But if you do a quick look on eBay, Auto Trader, etc, you'll find prices of non-lifted 2011's are mid-high $40's. The only way to get one for high $30's or low $40's is if they have close to 100K miles (hard to believe somebody can drive that far in two years, but some do).
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr1300 View Post
I paid 46 for my 2011 lariat crew longbed 4x4 nav sunroof sticker was over 61k
I'd love to hear how... if I could find that deal on a leftover 2012, I'd forget all about the lift, wheels, and tires. As much as I like that stuff, getting a new one at my price with Nav would be worth the sacrifice.

How is this possible??

I just did some quick math to try to replicate your deal...
  • $61,645 MSRP for well equiped Lariat
  • $55,556 Invoice
  • ($1,850) 3% Holdback
  • $53,706 Dealer Cost
  • ($3,000) Rebate: requires you use Ford Motor Credit
  • $50,706 Net Price to me

That assumes the dealer is willing to go all the way down to their true cost and that I used Ford Motor Credit. Even then, it's almost $5K short of the $46K you got.

So once again I ask... how is that possible? I'm not doubting you. I really want to believe. Please explain.

Last edited by IXFE; 11-06-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Mine is 2012, had 106 miles has nav and sun roof 54,000 after TT&L.

That truck has $1000 lift ?, $3000 in tires and wheels.

Do the math, nice truck. I'm seriously thinking about buying he same wheels and tires after seeing this truck.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Just so you can compare current offerings...here's what I am buying:

My new 2012 F350 FX4 Lariat Ultimate 6.7...picking up in the next day or so...

MSRP 62,845
Invoice $57,475
Rebates $5,250
Holdback Allowance $1,350
Net Price $50,869 (plus tax & title)

I have two local dealers offering me the same truck, identical equipment, for the EXACT same price out the door...I also had another dealer not willing to back down from 52,780...so I won't be buying from them.

EDIT: I forgot, part of my rebate total is a $750 coupon Ford sent to my home randomly...guessing because I signed up to receive a brochure on the Super Duty trucks via their website.

Also, be careful what the dealer says. I had one dealer tell me that I had to finance through Ford for a minimum of four months to get that part of the rebates. Two other dealers said that wasn't true...that I could finance for one month and pay it off (I was looking for a cash deal, but if I need to finance for a month to get the extra rebate I'm willing to do so)...I'll be reading the fine print and talking to Ford Credit directly to make sure I can pay off immediately so I'm not paying more in interest than that part of the rebates is worth.

SECOND EDIT: Just took delivery. Decided to offer cash and not finance or get any Ford Credit rebates...drove it home for $55,000 out the door, including sales tax & title/license fees. Boy is she sweet...and the fuel mileage is simply amazing...4 mpg better than the Tundra 5.7L...and that was in traffic!

Last edited by fosterelli; 11-09-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.