Powerstoke Advice..Please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstoke Advice..Please help

Ive been looking for a good diesel truck now for a couple months.. I really dont need a diesel truck for any reason other than I like the sound and the looks of the truck..I found a couple trucks in my budget range, but now my confusion comes with the 6.0 versus the 6.7? I hear the 6.0 was crap unless u did the egr delete and put in the new head studs? I also hear the 6.7 is bad on fuel and needs the egr delete to get better fuel mileage.. The (2008) 6.7 truck I have in mind has already had the sinister egr delete along with a tuner, a coolant flush that suppose to last 600,000 miles, and a K&N cold air intake.. The (2006) 6.0 truck already has the egr delete done also... so my question is? which truck has the best engine to go with and whats the maintenance like on either truck? I dont have a lot of money to sink in repairs.. I hear deisel repairs cost three times as much as gas trucks... so should I go to an F150 truck instead, if I dont really need the diesel? Dont know many people who have diesel trucks so Im not sure which way to go? Its a toss up..All I will use the truck for is riding around on the weekends and maybe hauling light items or funiture.. Thanks for any advice..

Powerstroke-Rookie..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke-rookie View Post
Ive been looking for a good diesel truck now for a couple months.. I really dont need a diesel truck for any reason other than I like the sound and the looks of the truck..I found a couple trucks in my budget range, but now my confusion comes with the 6.0 versus the 6.7? I hear the 6.0 was crap unless u did the egr delete and put in the new head studs? I also hear the 6.7 is bad on fuel and needs the egr delete to get better fuel mileage.. The (2008) 6.7 truck I have in mind has already had the sinister egr delete along with a tuner, a coolant flush that suppose to last 600,000 miles, and a K&N cold air intake.. The (2006) 6.0 truck already has the egr delete done also... so my question is? which truck has the best engine to go with and whats the maintenance like on either truck? I dont have a lot of money to sink in repairs.. I hear deisel repairs cost three times as much as gas trucks... so should I go to an F150 truck instead, if I dont really need the diesel? Dont know many people who have diesel trucks so Im not sure which way to go? Its a toss up..All I will use the truck for is riding around on the weekends and maybe hauling light items or funiture.. Thanks for any advice..

Powerstroke-Rookie..

Rookie,
If that is all you do with your truck, then save yourself a ton of cash and go with the F-150. You can find some real nice F-150 for about half the price of a superduty diesel.
BTW, stay away from the truck highlighted in bold above, the 6.7 didn't come out until 2011 model year.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom12 View Post
Rookie,
If that is all you do with your truck, then save yourself a ton of cash and go with the F-150. You can find some real nice F-150 for about half the price of a superduty diesel.
BTW, stay away from the truck highlighted in bold above, the 6.7 didn't come out until 2011 model year.
Thanks for your advice
..i meant to say 6.4 diesel truck..not 6.7..
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

A lot is going to depend on the truck you get. Not every single 6.0L or 6.4L ( <-- this would be the engine in a 2008) has issues. You hear about the issues because that's what people talk about, not the ones that run like tops day in and day out.

So...is this your first truck? A couple of things to consider. Is this going to be your daily driver with little else to use it for? Your post seems to suggest that. Don't get me wrong, diesels are great, SuperDuties do look cool. Repair cost, yeah probably more than a gasser, BUT (here's another one) IF you know that going in AND you're okay with that, then you might find a diesel to be great! Another thing to consider is that diesel fuel tends to run higher than gas does.

Any truck, if well cared for will last a long time. So...you have some things to consider. Diesel or Gas? Your call. I think you are doing the right thing by asking questions. Always better to be as informed as you can be!

BTW, to the ORG!!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't technically need the beast I bought (see my sig), but man I do love it and it was a dream of mine to own one. I'm 35, so it felt great to be able to comfortably purchase it.

I didn't just jump in...I surfed the Cummins, Duramax, and this forums for over a year. I learned that yes...maintenance will be much higher. I did my own oil change and it cost me $90. If you puke an engine on one of these and it's not under warranty...it's over $12,000. But, how often does that happen?

I love the torque. I stopped at the dealer today and the guy started showing me a $54,000 F150 Raptor. It looked cool...had a 6.2. I am sure it rips....but I can haul some serious stuff with my 6.7 and I get better mileage than it will. And, that's a lot of money....I spent more...but I think I have way more truck.

I'd say you need to drive these things. If you're prepared for higher maintenance costs, can afford it, and like diesel...then go diesel. There's nothing like filling up a 37 gallon tank and kissing $150 good bye! LOL! But I fire it up and just love it.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK I need advice.. I'm wanting a desiel truck and I hear the old 7.3 engine was the best... I can get an 02/ 7.3 truck for $20K with only 77k miles or an 08 with 120K miles for $21K.. Its hard to know whats the best.. Ive never owned a diesel truck just feel I want want.. Any advice?? The 08 has already had the egr delete and has tuner already on it.. Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
OK I need advice.. I'm wanting a desiel truck and I hear the old 7.3 engine was the best... I can get an 02/ 7.3 truck for $20K with only 77k miles or an 08 with 120K miles for $21K.. Its hard to know whats the best.. Ive never owned a diesel truck just feel I want want.. Any advice?? The 08 has already had the egr delete and has tuner already on it.. Thanks
You should be able to find a low milage 7.3 for under 16-18k depending on where you live. The bank will only lend you about 10k on them though.

The 6.4 sounds like a good deal but was driven quite a bit more then the average.

With out details, we can't really help u out further. Crew cab, xl, xlt, lariat, ect...?

Btw, if I was looking for a 6.4, I would try and find a 09 or 10. They had less issues.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks... SO would you choose 6.4 or 7.3? Both trucks are super cabs with XLT package..
Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

I would look for another 7.3 if i was you. the price on that one is high and like someone else said the bank isnt going to give you a loan for that much for that truck. I had a 02 7.3 and i loved that truck. my dad actually bought it from me and its still going strong. only thing i ever had to do was replace the alternator and the starter.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks... SO would you choose 6.4 or 7.3? Both trucks are super cabs with XLT package..
Around here (Utah) supercab 7.3 under 100k miles xlt goes for around 13-15k. So I would go with the tuned 6.4 as long as everything checks out good.

That guy with the 7.3 is high on crack, asking more then 20k IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.