Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sumo springs

19K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Rambilt 
#1 ·
Has anyone bought or used the sumo springs on their rigs instead of air bags? I checked them out on my buddies 2011 cummins and they seem to work same as air bags but require no maintance or adjusting. Plus when your driving without a load its like there not there. What you guys think?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
I ordered a set of the sumo springs yesterday. I talked to the president of the company and got a good discount!
I picked these over the air bags because they require no maintance.

#5 ·
I am curious how they work out as well. I am leaning air bag route...but I don't tow often. So, if this helped keep it level when I do tow, it may make a lot of sense...especially if the price is right.

How much are they?

#8 ·
I'm making a 960 mile trip towing a 25' goose neck flatbed on Tues haulling some metal sheeting. I'll post back how it rides with the sumo springs.

And price depends which setup you need.
Since I have a b&w hitch I needed the set that replaces the rubber bumper stop just to the inside of the leaf springs. Which are $233

If you don't have a 5th wheel or b&w hitch you can get the set that installs within the leaf springs which are about $560 or so.

If interested in which set you might need. Call sumo springs co. And ask for Mike. He's the president of the company.

#7 ·

Just got my sumo springs. Will be installing hopefully tomorrow.
I think I'm gonna spray paint them black because I'm not diggin' the yellow

#9 ·
Here is before sumo springs and after.

#10 ·
Let us know how you like them! Those would be nicer not having to adjust air pressure all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#11 ·
#12 ·
Just got home from a 960 mile trip towing a 10000lb goose neck flatbed. And the sumo springs are great. Truck sits level and rides quite a bit smoother then stock! Plus without a trailer or load the ride seems like they aren't even there.

One modification that I did was shortened the sumo spring brackets about 3/8-1/2" so that I still have some stock leaf spring travel (1-2") that I believe helps with smoother ride without a load. (Regular installation has basically no leaf spring travel before weight is all on the sumo springs.

#13 ·
Thanks bud those are a easier option then air bags but ill have to extend mine because I'm lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#14 ·
Hey bud another question for you. Do your sumo springs go down and touch on the factory bump stop tab on the factory block?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
It depends. Do you have a b&w hitch? If so most likely you'll have to get the ones like mine that go down to the bumper stop on the block. If not you can get the set that mounts on top of your leaf springs.

#16 ·
No gooseneck or 5th wheel at all. But with my lift lot I don't have rear blocks anymore it's all springs. But that also means for the kind that mount on top I have a greater distance down than what is stock.

#17 ·
I would call sumo springs and ask for Mike. He is the president of the company and can answer your question better than me. I had to send him pictures of my axel and hitch so he could tell me what I needed. He's

Since you have a lift, they might be able to make longer brackets for you that will work. :thumb:

#18 ·
Awesome man thanks ill give them a shout

#20 ·
Will do bud. I may just get the carli air bags because I know they will work like said and work properly with our kits.

#22 ·
They are great. And I'm not quite sure on tongue weights. But I've towed my gooseneck flat bed loaded 10k -23k

Truck doesn't squat and rides smooth

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
This is my first posts as a new member.. I thought I'd share my experience also with the Sumosprings. My truck is a 2011 F-350 4X4 Long Bed, CC, Lariat, B&W hitch and 2" leveler in the front. I bought my truck used with 128000 miles, I needed a truck that can haul my Fifth Wheel trailer. My Tundra is just not powerful enough. Anyway, after buying the truck the first thing I did is replaced the 4 shocks with Bilsteins. The ride changed from soft bouncy type to kind of firm but it seems to bounce around especially when I go over big bump or a railroad track... So I bought a SumoSprings for the back. The installation is super easy!! I road tested the truck, I was amazed how it handles the bumps, it's firmer and with control going through railroad tracks and pot holes. I love it so much I ordered the front SumoSprings also. It's arriving today and I will be installing this weekend. BTW, I have an Air spring without the compressor installed in my Tundra that I like but I like the Sumo better because I do not have to inflate and deflate it and the installation is so much easier than the Air spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.