OEM filters and fluids? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM filters and fluids?

I recently talked to a ford rep that pulls around the powerstroke trailers with the cut away blocks (I think you'd call him a rep) and he was saying dont run anything other than the factory oem filters and oil. The reason being on the filters was the drain back valve. I know most Baldwin filters and wix have the check valve in them and I could see it being more critical on the 6.0 and 6.4s bc the cartridge and the oil draining back down but now being a spin on I dont see it being as big of an issue. What do y'all think?

Sent from iPhone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM

why temp a issue ?

without knowing the exact make up of a filter and to keep warranty issues at bay
I would use OEM or the OEM MFG

the 6.0 didn't like WIX because of the element itself falling apart
the drainback was in the 6.0 housing itself not the filter

the 6.7 doesn't need drainback at all in the filter area because of it's orientation
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 AM

if it's money your looking to save

Ford 6.7 liter Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Truck Filters - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM

Baldwin, Donaldson, Fleetguard, Cat, are all top quality filters... The Wix/Napa are ok.... although I believe some of the Napa filters are changing in quality and branding them as 5K mile filters...
Not sure who is making the Motorcraft filters, at one time local parts stores all said it was Allied Signal-Fram.. That ceased my purchase of Motorcraft filters...
Any way you go, if its a filter you like and a truck you are going to keep, source them online or thru a local medium duty/heavy duty truck dealership and purchase them in case quantity... there is definitely money to be saved.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
Baldwin, Donaldson, Fleetguard, Cat, are all top quality filters... The Wix/Napa are ok.... although I believe some of the Napa filters are changing in quality and branding them as 5K mile filters...
Not sure who is making the Motorcraft filters, at one time local parts stores all said it was Allied Signal-Fram.. That ceased my purchase of Motorcraft filters...
Any way you go, if its a filter you like and a truck you are going to keep, source them online or thru a local medium duty/heavy duty truck dealership and purchase them in case quantity... there is definitely money to be saved.
I believe PrimeGuard is making the 6.7 Motorcraft filter. I read it somewhere, can't remember where

I would just spend the few extra bucks and buy the OEM filter. I always say that if you cant afford to "properly" maintain a vehicle then you can't afford the vehicle either. You will never hear me complaining about my $150 oil changes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM

True^

I know carquest are wix filters as well. I just want to keep this thing ticking for a long time and wanted to get y'all's thoughts.
Also what have yalls oil temp been running while pulling? I know I pulled today and it was at 212-235 on some tough hills pulling a tractor and shredder weighing 14k plus the trailer. Is that high compared to what everyone else is seeing?

Sent from iPhone
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post

I would just spend the few extra bucks and buy the OEM filter. I always say that if you cant afford to "properly" maintain a vehicle then you can't afford the vehicle either.
wel... i guess thats one way to look at it....
typically the OEM filters are not made by the company painted on the side.. as in this case with Motorcraft... so, other than lining the pockets of the Ford executives, there isnt really any reason to pay for "sticker engineering"
There are better filters than the OEM out there... many of which can be found for the same or less $$$$
On my little 5.9L, rather than use to OEM Mopar filter, I am purchasing Fleetguard filters from a local truck shop. They are the exact same filter made in the same plant, they are simply "sticker engineered" and packaged in a Mopar box.. And of course, the price is doubled!!!..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanscat View Post
wel... i guess thats one way to look at it....
typically the OEM filters are not made by the company painted on the side.. as in this case with Motorcraft... so, other than lining the pockets of the Ford executives, there isnt really any reason to pay for "sticker engineering"
There are better filters than the OEM out there... many of which can be found for the same or less $$$$
On my little 5.9L, rather than use to OEM Mopar filter, I am purchasing Fleetguard filters from a local truck shop. They are the exact same filter made in the same plant, they are simply "sticker engineered" and packaged in a Mopar box.. And of course, the price is doubled!!!..
I agree with that statement as well. I've always liked my Baldwin and wix filters. As far as oil goes who do y'all think makes motorcraft oil?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM

I tow a TT that is prolly somewhere in the 11K range when loaded up for a trip. I've seen my oil temps in the high 220's while towing. eot and ect deltas in the high teens.

Also, as for oil and fuel filters, I use OEM, and not as picky...just personal preference. As for oil, I use Schaeffers 10W-30 and plan to switch to their 5W-40 oil next change.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM

What about the $400.00 'lifetime' filter? Anyone tried it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.