Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What did you do to your 6.7 this week?

931K views 5K replies 696 participants last post by  powerstrokeshellback 
#1 · (Edited)
I will start I changed both fuel filters, did an oil change, and removed the front air dam.

I dont like the look of the bumper without it, and have read the 2wd air dam is shorter and looks good. So I ordered one from Westland ford for $90 and picked up 1 backup sensor too.

Please include pictures!

#3,965 ·
New tires, 35x12x20 and new TPMS. Smoooooth.

#3,966 ·
I decided to take apart the intake and clean it while I'm trying to find this owl noise / hoot sounds and man did it need to be cleaned!

Reactions: CrazyS0b
#3,967 ·
I decided to take apart the intake and clean it while I'm trying to find this owl noise / hoot sounds and man did it need to be cleaned!

Dang! I’m about to install the cold side charge pipe so I’ll get a look at mine also. Is yours factory or deleted?

#3,972 ·
Looks like this is pretty common for emissions intact 6.7's on Youtube. Here is the throttle body by the way:

I started with using a piece of laminate to scrape the crap out so that I wouldn't scratch anything in there. I got worried with all the crap going in the intake its self so I vacuumed it out but I still didn't feel comfortable with that so I just took the whole intake thing off.

This truck has 141k on it, I just bought it in October and it was pretty well maintained, I have TONS of maintenance records on the truck down to receipts for all the DEF they put in. I deleted it like 500 miles ago so we'll see if that makes this build up stop but I doubt I'll own it for another 141k lol.

#3,973 ·
Mine has 80k on it and will be deleted next weekend when I get back from the lease. I’ll be checking that when I replace the CAC pipe since I’m replacing the throttle body anyway.

#3,974 ·
Where to start.......I put in a brand new complete dropout in my rear dana s130 axle, glow plugs on the passenger side, body mounts, and re-installed my dpf (I know, I know...I am back-pedaling, but I have my reasons)

Two outta four glow plugs were the wrong ones, too. So someone has been in there already. I am chasing a knock that sounds like a fuel knock. Almost been a year, and no codes. It does not affect performance either. Good oil report, but knocks. New injectors next week. We shall see. After that, I will re-delete. But I need to send my SCT back for warranty first. Do not tell them you are deleted!!!!! EVER!! They cannot legally warranty the tuner if you admit delete.

Reactions: broncobilly_69
#3,975 ·
Wow! You did need to change those body mounts!

Good to know about the tuners.

#3,976 ·
Installed a leveling kit today:

#3,980 ·
Had a broken belt in the stock Michelin’s at 27,000 mi. So I put some new shoes on it. Was looking to put Toyo muds on it but up here they are 650$ each. Little bit much for me to spend on tires right now. I’ve had 3 sets of these BFG’s on 3 trucks now and never wore them out. Lol

Attachments

#3,981 ·
Why is it that dealer mechanics tend to be idiots?
I followed the recommendation of the dealer’s senior diesel tech, and replaced all injectors, hoping to get rid of what sounds to be a fuel knock that nobody seems to be able to diagnose. 7 injectors changed, and the mechanic couldn’t get #5 out. His removal tool was even stuck on the injector....meaning no hold-down on said injector. So, as it turns out, I can do, on the side of the highway in the dark, what the tech cannot do in a well-appointed shop. The injector blew out about ten miles from the dealership. I replaced it with primitive tools on the side of the road.
So that’s what I did to my 6.7; new injectors. No difference at all. Sheer disappointment at money spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,983 ·
Why is it that dealer mechanics tend to be idiots?
I followed the recommendation of the dealer’s senior diesel tech, and replaced all injectors, hoping to get rid of what sounds to be a fuel knock that nobody seems to be able to diagnose. 7 injectors changed, and the mechanic couldn’t get #5 out. His removal tool was even stuck on the injector....meaning no hold-down on said injector. So, as it turns out, I can do, on the side of the highway in the dark, what the tech cannot do in a well-appointed shop. The injector blew out about ten miles from the dealership. I replaced it with primitive tools on the side of the road.
So that’s what I did to my 6.7; new injectors. No difference at all. Sheer disappointment at money spent.

Because they just care about getting as much money out of you for the dealer so they'll tell you to replace anything. That does suck though.

Reactions: backhoebill
#3,982 ·
Because dealers don't hire Mechanics anymore. Even the people you talk to in the service department, don't know the product or the services they offer (speaking of Ford dealer in my home town). Take it to a reputable Diesel Shop.

#3,984 ·
It's hard to find ANYBODY that knows how to work on these ultra-complicated EPA nightmare engines. Dealers or diesel shops.

#3,986 ·
The problem is widespread. Good diesel techs are a thin herd. I know of 3 or 4 mechanics on this forum that are superior, and in fact, I would put them up there with Diesel Tech Ron. But they are very busy, and are not local to me. What makes these guys superior is their drive to find the underlying cause of a problem. Then pack it away in the memory banks for future recall, because it matters to them to be able to fix problems.

Reactions: sierracharlie338
#3,985 ·
Forgot to add, I changed my tranny filter and fluid over the weekend. Shifts are much better than before, and they weren't even bad to begin with.

#3,988 ·
Def heater goes out. Pay 1k for replacement? Nah.

Weight loss and some tuning of the tyrant type. . .

And a cold side intercooler upgrade.

All done by me. Pretty satisfied with it.

#3,989 ·
Nice job!

#3,993 ·
I got my Tyrant tunes from no limit with my SCT GTX. Fast and simple. I was going to go to Alligator performance but everyone keeps saying good things about no limit so I just went there.

#3,995 ·
Almost can't see that pretty black pipe in there!
Forgive my ignorance, are the 1st couple pics the EGR cooler block off plates?

#3,996 ·
Almost can't see that pretty black pipe in there!

Forgive my ignorance, are the 1st couple pics the EGR cooler block off plates?

EGR block off plates would be against federal emissions regulations. Those must be the egr bluetooth adapters for wireless egr![emoji6][emoji108]

#4,000 ·
Went and washed the salt off, hate using a carwash but I hate rust even more. Got about 1600 miles on her now, really happy with the new truck. I loved my 6.4, but this truck is so much nicer in every way.

Not sure how long I will be able to live with the dpf though... I forgot how frustrating it is to plan driving habits around regens............. Not to mention the fact that I have to idle my truck more than I would like due to my dog. Wouldn't be so bad if I could just flip the high idle switch and not worry about it like I did with the 6.4. I promised the better 3/4 that I wouldn't void the warranty if at all possible, but I dono if I can do that lol. Gonna give it 6 months to make sure there are no surprises with it then decide. At least the fuel economy isn't a problem... Getting almost 17mpg (hand calculated) even with winter fuel.

#4,001 ·
Went and washed the salt off, hate using a carwash but I hate rust even more. Got about 1600 miles on her now, really happy with the new truck. I loved my 6.4, but this truck is so much nicer in every way.

Not sure how long I will be able to live with the dpf though... I forgot how frustrating it is to plan driving habits around regens............. Not to mention the fact that I have to idle my truck more than I would like due to my dog. Wouldn't be so bad if I could just flip the high idle switch and not worry about it like I did with the 6.4. I promised the better 3/4 that I wouldn't void the warranty if at all possible, but I dono if I can do that lol. Gonna give it 6 months to make sure there are no surprises with it then decide. At least the fuel economy isn't a problem... Getting almost 17mpg (hand calculated) even with winter fuel.

Why not add the idle switch to this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4,002 ·
I will, just haven't done it yet. The problem is it fills up the dpf even faster.

#4,003 ·
Replaced the waste gate solenoid so that's another problem down. Still have the weird sound on cold start up but I think that's related to the coolant fitting on the turbo so that's up next for replacement.