Fuel additive or Not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel additive or Not

I was told by the dealer that I didn't have to use a fuel additive, but if I wanted to it wouldn't hurt anything. Ive always used Diesel Kleen in the 7.3 and 6.0 that Ive had just wanted to see what anyone else thought. We all know the fuels are junk these days just want to keep everything running good

Last edited by Jason1Pa; 10-12-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM

I run Motorcraft fuel additives everyfill up. At the very least run a winter additive to prevent gelling in colder weather (40* F and under). On this forum it seems like most people use additives.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
I run Motorcraft fuel additives everyfill up. At the very least run a winter additive to prevent gelling in colder weather (40* F and under). On this forum it seems like most people use additives.
How much is theirs if you don't mind me asking and how much of the bottle is used with every fill up?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Power Stroke Diesel - Power and Pride
Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM

The problem with the Ford product is that it is either a Cetane boost or a Anti gel. It doesn't do both. ( PM 22 vs PM 23). I've used the Ford PM22 Cetane boost version in the summer, But in the winter months I use the Opti-Lube product. Which contains both an Anti-gel and a Cetane boost.

The Ford product was not around when the big additive test was done by Diesel Power Mag back in 2007. So there is no rating for that product. But the Opti-lube came in as one of the best additives. Now I'm sure some of the other products have redone formulas since and may be better, But there are no 3rd party test to prove it.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1Pa View Post
How much is theirs if you don't mind me asking and how much of the bottle is used with every fill up?
I buy the motorcraft add and it's around $11 and treats 100gal or 4 tanks for me.

- Bubba
Old 10-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
The problem with the Ford product is that it is either a Cetane boost or a Anti gel. It doesn't do both. ( PM 22 vs PM 23). I've used the Ford PM22 Cetane boost version in the summer, But in the winter months I use the Opti-Lube product. Which contains both an Anti-gel and a Cetane boost.

The Ford product was not around when the big additive test was done by Diesel Power Mag back in 2007. So there is no rating for that product. But the Opti-lube came in as one of the best additives. Now I'm sure some of the other products have redone formulas since and may be better, But there are no 3rd party test to prove it.
I have never heard anything bad about Opti-Lube or Diesel kleen. I would probably run Opti-lube if I was putting it in an older truck.

I run Motorcraft, to insure no BS when/if a warrenty issue came up. I was told today at the dealership to run both the cetane booster and anti gel stuff in the winter time, and just the cetane booster the rest of the year.

Each Bottle treats 100 Gallons (think its 4 oz for 25 gallon fillups, so they are 16 oz each...) and cost between $10 and $15 depending on where you get them.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Power Service Diesel Kleen 9-10 Oz per 26 Gals (fill up). Keeps the injectors clean. Get it at Wally.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
I run Motorcraft, to insure no BS when/if a warrenty issue came up. I was told today at the dealership to run both the cetane booster and anti gel stuff in the winter time, and just the cetane booster the rest of the year.
Since Ford says you don't need an additive, I don't believe it will really do much for to improve your warranty. The reason we use it, is the hope that the added lubrication will protect us from ever having to use the warranty.

Opti-Lube was one of the best in the test at adding lubricating qualities, The disadvantage is that you buy it over the internet or an 800 number and have it shipped. With shipping it's about $50 a gallon ( pretty close to the same price as the Ford product) The gallon comes with a pump that dispenses 1 oz per pump. So I either put 4-6 pumps in when I get home from filling up or carry several 6oz bottles behind the back seat with product in them. (Big Laing, It comes out of Provo, so it's just 1-2 days shipping)

Power Service claims their formula has been improved since the test were conducted. So their lubricating rating should be improved. But I have not found any independant test that can confirm or deny that. But it is readily available at most retail locations. I can usually buy the jug that does 250 gallons of fuel at the farm supply stores for $9. So it is definitely cheaper. I use it in my construction equipment, But those are all pre-2007 and pre ultra low sulfur.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am an Amsoil dealer so I run their diesel fuel additive concentrate. No cetane boost, but price is fine and I'm more worried about protection than power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.