Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Multiple 5th wheel trailers

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Lrdchaos 
#1 ·
Anyone have a 5th wheel? I'm curious how it works for height adjustment and tweaking it so that the trailer is level... Additionally if you have multiple 5th wheels can you have it setup so that you don't have to do anything in the truck bed... Ideally i'd like to be able to unhook my car hauler and hook my camper within seconds or minutes.. (currently have a bumper pull enclosed car hauler and no camper want some info!)

#2 ·
5th wheel trailers have adjustable king pins. Set up your truck hitch then adjust the king pin so that there is at least 8 inches of clearance between bed rails and trailer and the trailer is about 2 inches higher in the front than the rear. To adjust the king pin on the trailer it usually requires removing the 6 or 8 bolts fastening it to the neck.

#3 ·
I use a set of 3" risers with my pullrite hitch, which sits somewhat low in the bed, to get the clearance needed. with the pitch and roll in and out of the driveway (as well as some campsites) the 8 inch clearance suggestion is a good one - if I only had the 6 inches that many rv sites talk about I would have crushed the bed rails a long time ago. the firestone airbags do a great job of taking the squat (which wasn't much) out of the rear suspension.

what brand of car hauler are you looking at? most of the ones I've seen are gooseneck designs.

#4 ·
Currently I have a pace 20ft by 8.5ft bumper pull... I'm considering trading that or selling it and possibly buying a 5th wheel setup. However its new territory and I just bought my truck, so I'm still trying to learn as much as I can. I was always told that 5th wheel and gooseneck is the same thing? From your previous post I'm not getting that same impression? I'm also not sure what size is do-able for my truck.. its a f350 dually with the 6.0 psd.. I'm sure it can do a lot.. but the wife wants to go all over the united states... which means I will probably do ALL of the driving... I want to "not even know its back there" so if that means we have to get a smaller one or whatever I'm perfectly fine with that... again, just trying to learn!

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
A fifth wheel and goose neck are two different animals. Look into the bw turnover ball setup for gooseneck, then look into the companion which hooks to your gooseneck ball and allows you to pull a fifth wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.