New guy, New truck, question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New guy, New truck, question

Hey guys, I just purchased my first ford. Its a 2012 6.7 long bed. I traded in my tundra after I wanted a little more power/braking towing my boat. I really like the truck and its my first diesel as well. Steering sucks but other than that its a beast. I like the diesel motor alot as its different than the gas engines I have had all my life.

I do have one question so far, and its due to my lack of diesel knowledge. I have 1100 miles on my truck. I checked the fuel/water separator yesterday and its very clean, just a few tiny droplets of water but that was probably from me washing the jar. The oil already looked pretty black, is that normal for these motors? If this was a gas engine I'd say it was way beyond needing changed but I am not sure if the motor oil for diesels is a different formula etc. Thanks! I hope I made the right move getting this truck, I have already heard I should have went allison/duramax... but the gmc just seemed so cheap. I have the lariat with heated/cooled seats, remote start etc. and I must say I dont really miss my tundra except when making a turn or parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I too came from a Tundra. My 3rd. I loved that truck. But...these are amazing.

I would say YES on the dark oil. I changed mine recently first time - when the computer said to change it. I sent it out for analysis and everything looked great according to Blackstone. So, I don't judge by the color.

I drove Ram and GMC before picking Ford. GM interior was cheap...and I feel the Ford has the best looking for a long bed crew cab truck. The GMs looked odd to me. The RAM looked like it ran on pizza cutters. All had some things I did like...but I swung to Ford because: Reliability, Crew Cab Size, Fit/Finish, Power, Cab Size. I don't think you went wrong. Don't be depressed by these sites. If you go into a cummins or duramax forum you'll see problems. These forums are where people seek out help. My truck is problem free!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From another Ford forum everybody there said that its normal for Diesel oil to look very black even very soon after a change so it shouldn't be a problem. Just change it when the truck tells you to.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 AM

Ok thanks guys. I plan to take it in every 5000 miles. Its what my dealer said to do and it seems fair enough to me. I'll drive it about 10-12k a year.

The tundras were great, but these are def better. With my brakes and exhaust braking I can stop my boat with ease. I was told I won't feel my 8k boat behind me with this truck, not really true cause you can, but its waaaay more managable. Just wish I didnt give up turning radius, I have to do a 4 point turn to park my boat now. :/ Other than that she is def the truck for the job.

Last edited by Boat Hauler; 10-05-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

the turning radius on these trucks isnt that bad. my two previous trucks were a 06 f150 and an 06 tundra and my 11 f250 is better than both.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The reason your oil is turning black so fast in my opinion is because of all the emissions control that has to be on these engines. Diesels put out a lot more soot than gasoline engines and it can be suspended in the oil. If the oils black it's just doing its job, perfectly normal. Now delete the egr and get rid of the dpf and it will stay clear much longer. Just my experience with my previous diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.